What's the most unlikely genre of music you've heard a ukulele in?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Plenty of great ukulele artists have proved time and time again that it's not just a lazy island strumming instrument and is incredibly versatile and can be used in nearly any genre of music. Classical, rock, pop, punk, swing, jazz, folk, funk, blues, hip hop, the list goes on and the ukulele conquers them all.

Where have you heard uke when you're not expecting it?

Also if anyone has any recommendations for artists who incorporate ukulele into post rock I'd love to hear them!

LorenFL

I've found that a good player with the right vibe can pull off just about anything on a ukulele. I like the more unexpected stuff. Punk. Hard rock. Heavy blues jams. Funk.

This one always makes me smile. Just a dude with a cheap acoustic ukulele... totally getting the point across.

This one is awesome, too:

And then there's stuff like this:

ghostrdr

Rap on ukulele finger style… Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie covered by Feng E

Last edited:

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
This has got to be pretty "unlikely." Oh, and "Thank you, Jake!"

badhabits

Like that Thunderstruck.
Dovydas plays ukulele?! who knew? but not really surprised, he can probably play anything...guy is super talented.
Having a hard time recognizing feng's song after the first 30 seconds or so....

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Dovydas plays ukulele?! who knew?
I'm reminded of the (almost certainly apocryphal) story of the classical musician who heard Jimi Hendrix for the first time and was asked what he thought of the performance: "I wish I could play like that," he replied. "And then I never would."

Ziret

I heard a ukulele featured in a ranchero song on the radio. Nice little surprise, but considering the amazing number of different-scale length, guitar-like instruments in mariachi, perhaps not such a surprising evolution. Can’t point you to the tune, unfortunately.

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
I heard a ukulele featured in a ranchero song on the radio. Nice little surprise, but considering the amazing number of different-scale length, guitar-like instruments in mariachi, perhaps not such a surprising evolution. Can’t point you to the tune, unfortunately.
Are you sure it was a Ukulele, and not a Cuatro?

Ziret

Are you sure it was a Ukulele, and not a Cuatro?
No, I'm not sure, as it was the radio. I've listened to a lot of ranchero music and not heard it before, but I could easily be wrong. Maybe someone else has heard something like it. Let me revise my statement to it sounded like a ukulele and fit right in.

Last edited:

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Well, it would be unusual to hear either a Ukulele or a Cuatro in ranchero music from Mexico. But perhaps the music was from Venezuela. The Venezuelan Cuatro is a lot like a Ukulele.
Cuatros.jpg

RafterGirl

I play in my church worship band every Sunday. Mostly contemporary Christian music. I recently played two instrumental pieces for an evening prayer vigil. It was a peaceful/solemn service. I played an arrangement of "Be Still My Soul" and an original piece that I wrote myself two years ago called "Firelight." When I wrote "Firelight" the vision I had in my head was of sitting in front of a fire on a cold winter's evening, watching the snow falling outside. I have played this piece at Christmas concerts, but this was the first time I played it at church. It was a perfect match for the mood of the service, and I got many complements on it afterwards. Several people asked what instrument I was playing, and they were pleasantly shocked that it was a ukulele.
The ukulele can transcend any style if you're in the right mood & strike the right vibe.

LorenFL

Love me some 1-4-5, some 2-5-1 and some 1-6-4-5!

Chord progressions are definitely fun to explore. I stumbled upon the "Doo Wop Changes" (1-6-4-5) by accident. Just found something that sounded cool, and said "this has got to be a thing"... and it was.