What's up with the Martin C1K?

snowdenn

Yeah, that nut width on the Martin tenors is a weird choice. I didn't realize it was because they were following old designs.

snowdenn

So, were nut widths on the vintage Martin tenors also 34mm? I've never played one, only the modern T1K.

I don't know, I guess? I was just going by haziz's comment about Martin following their old designs. Which would make sense.

Er, I don't mean it makes sense to have such a narrow width. I mean it makes sense that that's why they went with such a narrow width; I couldn't figure out why their tenors were narrower than their smaller models. And I still don't get why they would've done it that way in the old days.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
Agreed, the 34mm nut width on the T1K is really a head scratcher to me. Both the S1 soprano and C1k concert ukes have wider nuts. I loved the T1K sound, but just couldn't adapt to that thin nut. Even modding the nut for a wider string spacing wouldn't gain much, there just wasn't enough room. Too bad.

Wait, you're saying the nut on the S1 sop and the C1K concert are WIDER than that on the T1K tenor??

cFloor

I have a beautiful old Martin Tenor, which I believe is from the early 50s. Its got a wonderful tone, and looks like it was made yesterday. Unfortunately it just sits in it's case because of how narrow the neck is. I haven't measured it, but its much more narrow and thin than my other ukes.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
Wait, you're saying the nut on the S1 sop and the C1K concert are WIDER than that on the T1K tenor??

I have no reference with the other sizes or models.

The nut on my Martin 1T IZ Tenor is 1-3/8" Wide. The string width G to A is 1-1/8" Which is 3/8" string spacing. (The industry suggested standard.) Fretboard is 1-7/8" wide at the 14th fret where it meets the body.

Ziret

Another mug shot of an older C1K (on left), compared to how many of the new ones look (on right). Kinda sad :(

View attachment 134905

the one on the left looks like mahogany.

Neither of them is particularly attractive, but they do sound good and are koa for a good price. I think they play nicely too.