What's your favorite ukulele body size? why?

Favorite body size

• Total voters

ukudancer

Tenor. I started with sopranos and then gradually moved up. The fuller sound and having access to more notes is what sells me on the tenor. Add in a low g and I'm super happy.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
I appreciate your reasoning. I did something similar. Even though I don't care for the traditional ukulele sound, I bought and configured one of my ukuleles to sound more traditional. I bought a traditional ukulele, a Kamaka, and customized it with a spruce sound board to make it sound bright, I use re-entrant strings that are also bright. So it is everything that I don't like. Why? The tradition. Plus, to thwart my opinion. I have strong feelings about music, but I realize that I'm just a blip on the radar of life. I don't really count for much. So my opinion, although I sincerely hold it, is negligible. The Kamaka keeps me balanced.
Just curious; how often do you play the traditional-sounding uke? I've found that if I don't like the sound of the uke (even if it's a good sound that a lot of people do like), I don't play it, which puts it on the chopping block.

ripock

I play it whenever I feel guilty about it. Since it is worthless (even though it has Worth strings) as a picking instrument, I'll just arbitrarily designate a day as a chord-strumming day and play those tinny chords. That's my usual M.O. but yesterday I did pick up the Kamaka because it was closer than my other uke. I felt very, very cramped trying to play arpeggios and sus chords with only 3 usable strings. And I really felt my back was against a wall when trying to make some melodies with modal shapes low on the fret board. But I realize this is a first-world problem and I know I will find the strength to move on from being disgruntled that I was hemmed in by the nut and the high G string when trying to play with the D# Super Lokrian bb7

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
My favorite Ukulele body size is extra large, like Bruddah IZ. Makes the Ukulele look really tiny! 😁

Voran

Haven't tried anything else but soprano, but I'm massively loving the sound and the freedom to just grab it and go hike for miles while playing it.

I mostly played low instruments for years and mostly listened to only male singers because I preferred the low sounds.

Then I heard a girl playing a soprano uke on Reddit and thought...omg, I want one...I thought to myself, hey, you've been obsessed with the same small handful of favorite subjects for nearly 10 years, try something new!

I would like to try a bass uke, but I'm having lots of fun with soprano so voted that.

PeteyHoudini

I like sopranos with more than 12 frets. My second fav. are tenors. I have a concert uke but almost never play it. It would be good for the stage playing live. Never had the baritone experience yet.

GVlog

I have a preference for tenor SCALE with 1.5" nut widths. Having uniform scale lengths and nut widths minimizes the adjustments I need to make to muscle-memory when playing.

So I have two tenor-body ukes and one concert-body uke with a tenor scale. All have 1.5" nut widths.