What's your string height on the 12th fret?

GKK

Measured from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string, how many mm's do you get?

I have two Ukulele's that were properly "set up" and I get two different measurments. On my Kala Soprano it's 1.8mm and on my Kala Tenor it's 2mm. Both, sound great.

Reading here, http://reviews.ebay.com/Ukulele-What-is-setup-Action-and-Intonation-mean_W0QQugidZ10000000004902503 it says the average action is around 2.5mm - 2.75mm measured from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. Just wondering what your ukulele measures.

Last edited:

southcoastukes

That's an excellent thread over there in the lounge. Just to give another little perspective on the "lower is better" point of view - you can almost never find a good classical guitar player who will admit to action being too high or tension too loose.

You can get more vibrato and sustain with those set-ups, and the greater difficulty in fast passages is overcome by "pratice - practice - practice" - the result of which is incredible hand strength and dexterity. If you can learn to play like that, you'll have a lot wider range of tone.

GKK

That was a good thread about your "set up" experience, lancemanion.

I guess the 12th fret string height varies widely between different sellers to get the correct Tone and Intonation of each unique Ukulele.

kenikas

I usually shoot for 2 to 2.5 mm depending on the uke