When did Koaloha Switch to an Inlaid Headstock Logo?

haziz

When did Koaloha switch from engraving their logo on the headstock, to an inlaid abalone (I am assuming it is abalone) logo?

I am talking about their regular Hawaiian made Koa line (e.g. the KTM-00 Tenor).

Thanks.

Counter

The bridge design I don't care so much about but the inlay on the headstock was a huge improvement in my eyes.

glennerd

There's always the Opio. Doesn't even say "Opio" anymore on the headstock.

merlin666

Around 2017/2018 I think.
I think that's when they went to outsource necks to mainland CNC production that also cut a straight end instead of the beautiful crown. Bridge design changes quite often it seems.

Counter

So according to my records I bought a tenor in June 2016 which had the impressed logo on the headstock and then a super concert in December 2016 which had the abalone logo. Can't believe it was that long ago!

Jerryc41

I got my soprano in March, 2011, and it does not have the inlay. I've compared the sound of the inlay and non-inlay ukes, and the one that sounds better is definitely the ... :D

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
I got my soprano in March, 2011, and it does not have the inlay. I've compared the sound of the inlay and non-inlay ukes, and the one that sounds better is definitely the ... :D
The real question is does a real, natural, solid abalone inlay sound better than one made with a synthetic (plastic) material?

merlin666

On the factory tour it is certainly an interesting stop when they show the tiny abalone pieces and how they are fit into the space.

Jerryc41

On the factory tour it is certainly an interesting stop when they show the tiny abalone pieces and how they are fit into the space.

Inlays absolutely amaze me. How can they cut a depression to exactly fit a piece of material? I don't believe they can. I think it's all an optical illusion. They say there a beautiful inlay, and we agree, not wanting to look stupid. :D

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
Inlays absolutely amaze me. How can they cut a depression to exactly fit a piece of material? I don't believe they can. I think it's all an optical illusion. They say there a beautiful inlay, and we agree, not wanting to look stupid. :D

The Emperor's new Abalone Inlay? :cool:

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
The Crown Bridge looked like this on a Dec 2004 made tenor:

Bridge1.jpg