When string changes go bad...

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
I have just changed the strings on my KoAlana concert. My very sweet uke has gone dull. The new strings are a different brand than the stock strings. They feel thicker and tighter than the stock strings. The result is that the sound has gone from balanced, bright, and loud to a quieter mumble. I can replace the strings. What I want to know is how the characteristics of the strings translate into the sound of the 'ukulele?

What should I expect if tension is higher? Lower?

Does a thicker string need higher or lower tension to tune to the same note as a thinner one?

My KoAlana is a very light instrument. I have a Pono tenor that is built like a battleship by comparison.

Do the heavier/tighter strings "overdrive" the soundboard?

This is all part of my learning curve.

Kayak Jim

Can't answer your questions but you might want to give the strings a week or two before passing final judgment.

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
It's 5 days on now and their still duller than an unwashed truck.

hmgberg

Try a set of Worth CL (clear light) strings. I believe they will restore the sound you like so much.

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Try a set of Worth CL (clear light) strings. I believe they will restore the sound you like so much.

I have Worth CM on the way. CL are the next to try if these don't answer.

Kevdog

A builder is going to put on strings that are going to make their ukes play and sound in a way that hopefully makes you go WOW. While there are plenty of options you might want to replace them with a new set of the original strings- they have already done the research for you.

Regards

UkeKiddinMe

It would have been interesting to know what the original strings were and what the set you put on was.

Lalz

Try Southcoast, Living Waters or Martin M600 strings, they're excellent