Where Should I Fingerpick?

magicspeller

Reaction score
When I started to seriously learn how to play the ukulele a little over a year ago, I quickly learned to strum in the "sweet spot" to get the best sound. However, I have always picked beyond the end of the fingerboard and over the soundhole. It just seems easier to fingerpick there because of the added clearance.

I just started going through another beginners' course (I always learn something), and the author says "Sweet Spot - Where the neck is glued to the body. This is the place for strumming and/or fingerpicking where the best tone quality is produced."

So have I just been doing it wrong all this time? Where should I be fingerpicking?

Try several places and see what you like best. If you watch videos of master finger pickers you'll see that they move around and play in different places in different parts of the song to get different effects. Here are four playing in different spots and sounding very differently from each other.

Jake playing between the sound hole and fingerboard

Corey playing over the sound hole

Taimaine finger picking over the sound hole (and strumming nigh everywhere else)

Kimo playing up at the sweet spot

There’s a name for each technique:
Tasto means to play over the fingerboard
Pontecello means to play near the bridge

If it’s not marked, you play somewhere in the middle. Each spot gives a slightly different sound. Explore!

There's absolutely no reason not to fingerpick beyond the fretboard / nearer the soundhole. I mostly pick there because it gives me more room since the fretboard isn't in the way. Sometimes I switch to the "sweet spot" at the 12th fret of I want more finesse or a different feel to my picking or whatever. Experiment different positions and see what suits you best in which situation.

There is no single best spot as it depends on what you play and specific sound effects you want to accomplish. Usually somewhere near the soundhole tends to be comfortable and create good resonance. Playing over the fretboard can be challenging as fingers can make contact with it. If you need to do a lot of right hand muting a position closer to the bridge may work best. Try different spots and note the differences and tell us about it.

I usually fingerpick at home.

If you need to do a lot of right hand muting a position closer to the bridge may work best. Try different spots and note the differences and tell us about it.
I just started learning this technique over the last couple weeks! Palm muting with your hand on the bridge creates a cool percussive effect. I think I caught a HMS episode where Kalei demonstrated it. I'll see if I can find it again.

There's a great episode with Ian O'Sullivan who shows a buncha techniques on the classical guitar. Of course, these voicings are much different on the uke, but the same concept applies. Check out the 53:00 mark and also the tones in different cultures at about the 1hr 42min mark. Explore and enjoy!

Try several places and see what you like best. If you watch videos of master finger pickers you'll see that they move around and play in different places in different parts of the song to get different effects. Here are four playing in different spots and sounding very differently from each other.
Yes, all very different -- and all amazing. And Taimane fretting -- what? -- off the end of the fretboard!

First of all, the term fingerpick. Obviously it means to pick without a plectrum. But you can pick without a plectrum while playing inside/outside patterns, while playing campanella arrangements, while clawhammering or when playing scales. I'll just say that I never ever play sul tasto even though that's what you're supposed to do. I just observed what I do for the reading pleasure of this thread and when I am playing patterns I seem anchor the pinky a little bit below the sound hole and play over the hole. I also notice that sometimes I don't anchor at all. When I am playing melodies, my hand plucks around the top of the soundhole. I don't pluck or strum sul ponticello except for an affectation.

Some of my ukes have a much wider string spacing at the bridge, which dictates where I can most comfortably play. I usually like playing on the fretboard, not over the hole.

Top Bottom