Which mid price would you go for?

I have both of those. The Pono is a little better built (shocking given the higher price, right?), but has a fatter neck, no taper to it whereas the Ohana thins slightly towards the headstock. The Pono also has slightly wider string spacing than what is noted on the HMS website (45mm at the saddle vs. 41.5mm spec, and that's one from a recent batch). As many have mentioned before, the Pono seems a bit on the quieter side (still has stock Alohi strings).

Another comparable all-solid to consider is the Kala SMHC. I have one of those as well, to be donated to a charity auction. The build is more like the Ohana (again, no surprise given the similar price), with a fatter neck. It's the heaviest of the bunch and is the only one with closed back tuners. Sound was slightly better out of the box and the finish is open pore. The body shape of Kalas is slightly different, a bit wider lower bout.
Other than volume how does the tone / sound compare between the Ohana and Pono ?

Other than volume how does the tone / sound compare between the Ohana and Pono ?
Tough to say given that sound is so subjective and I never play them back to back to compare. Plus they have different strings (martin vs. the almost universally disliked Ko’olau that I have never used before) and the mc is new and needs to open up. They both sound good.

I have both of those. The Pono is a little better built (shocking given the higher price, right?), but has a fatter neck, no taper to it whereas the Ohana thins slightly towards the headstock. The Pono also has slightly wider string spacing than what is noted on the HMS website (45mm at the saddle vs. 41.5mm spec, and that's one from a recent batch). As many have mentioned before, the Pono seems a bit on the quieter side (still has stock Alohi strings).

Another comparable all-solid to consider is the Kala SMHC. I have one of those as well, to be donated to a charity auction. The build is more like the Ohana (again, no surprise given the similar price), with a fatter neck. It's the heaviest of the bunch and is the only one with closed back tuners. Sound was slightly better out of the box and the finish is open pore. The body shape of Kalas is slightly different, a bit wider lower bout.

It’s interesting that you have the three. I’m wondering how you would relatively position and rate them?

I had Martins on my Ohana, they worked well but they didn’t seem to pull the best out it so I changed to Super Nylgut (standard fit on them now) and that seems a step forward. YMMV.

Variations in the fitted strings and stages in opening up do seem to confuse the issue.

It’s interesting that you have the three. I’m wondering how you would relatively position and rate them?

I had Martins on my Ohana, they worked well but they didn’t seem to pull the best out it so I changed to Super Nylgut (standard fit on them now) and that seems a step forward. YMMV.

Variations in the fitted strings and stages in opening up do seem to confuse the issue.
Don't have enough time on the Pono yet, but the thicker neck is noticable for the first few min. My preference is the Ohana over the Kala, but that's my general preference anyway. Someone else might feel differently.

Don't have enough time on the Pono yet, but the thicker neck is noticable for the first few min. My preference is the Ohana over the Kala, but that's my general preference anyway. Someone else might feel differently.
These kinds of ukes are very generic and not everyone likes the same characteristics that may be different. Fortunately most music stores have a good selection in that price range so may be a good idea to compare in person. If I had to buy one online I with all the upcoming sales events I would just pick the one that has the deepest discount, as otherwise there's not much substantive difference

Common criticism of the Pono MC seems to be a thick neck , it's heavy , and not very loud .

Common criticism of the Pono MC seems to be a thick neck , it's heavy , and not very loud .
A common criticism regarding Pono ukes in general is the thick neck. I don't mind it myself but many others do.

Aside from that, I think Pono make really nice instruments. They aren't really heavy per se but often slightly heavier than other similar ukes. Somehow I feel they are slightly bulky regarding their build which might contribute to the lower volume people often experience with them. Although admittedly, one aspect of that is also the stock strings. Switching to fluorocarbons can help with volume.

For me, Pono is very analogous to certain typical Hawaiian uke brands like Kamaka or Kanile'a. Not necessarily the loudest or punchiest but rather sweet and mellow, simple, and expertly built.

A common criticism regarding Pono ukes in general is the thick neck. I don't mind it myself but many others do.

Aside from that, I think Pono make really nice instruments. They aren't really heavy per se but often slightly heavier than other similar ukes. Somehow I feel they are slightly bulky regarding their build which might contribute to the lower volume people often experience with them. Although admittedly, one aspect of that is also the stock strings. Switching to fluorocarbons can help with volume.

For me, Pono is very analogous to certain typical Hawaiian uke brands like Kamaka or Kanile'a. Not necessarily the loudest or punchiest but rather sweet and mellow, simple, and expertly built.
I agree. I don't find the necks thick, but those used to skinny necks probably do. They are slightly heavier, more noticable in tenors and less so in sopranos. Living Water, Uke Logic, and Worth Browns go nicely with these ukes, and given time they open up beautifully. They are very well made, especially the delux models.

I agree. I don't find the necks thick, but those used to skinny necks probably do. They are slightly heavier, more noticable in tenors and less so in sopranos. Living Water, Uke Logic, and Worth Browns go nicely with these ukes, and given time they open up beautifully. They are very well made, especially the delux models.
... heavier than the Kala solid Mahogany , KA-SMHC ?

I agree as well, for Pono concerts... not thick, but thicker than Ohana and pretty comparable to Kala... and you get used to it pretty quickly.

FYI on weights, the differences are not really that noticeable either, and I do not use a strap (although I'm not switching back and forth either).
Ohana CK-35 (n=3): 494, 472, 486 gm
Pono MC (n=1): 533 gm
Kala SMHC (n=2): 531, 520 gm

Don't overthink it... just pick the one you like best, that's really the only way to figure out YOUR preferences. they are all good. now go pick me up a mixed plate at Sekiya's.

I agree as well, for Pono concerts... not thick, but thicker than Ohana and pretty comparable to Kala... and you get used to it pretty quickly.

FYI on weights, the differences are not really that noticeable either, and I do not use a strap (although I'm not switching back and forth either).

Don't overthink it... just pick the one you like best, that's really the only way to figure out YOUR preferences. they are all good. now go pick me up a mixed plate at Sekiya's.
I think that Pono tenors and baritones have a trussrod, which will add a lot of weight. But if concerts and smaller don't have that they should be more in line with others.

Another vote for Pono, my tenor has Oasis warm strings and I love that sound.

Another vote for Pono, my tenor has Oasis warm strings and I love that sound.
In threads about strings for Pono these get mentioned along with the thick Worth and other super high tension sets that pull 27 kg or more on a tenor. I have played a handful of Ponos in store and also found them a bit subdued, so I guess you need the powerful strings to get those ukes to sing

I was looking at various options , and a correctly set up generic Ohana CK-35 concert seems uke enough to test the waters for a beginner .
Prefer it over the Kala ; haven't had an opportunity with the Pono .
If I did like like Pono MC , at that price I'd want to check out a Martin C1K .

Last edited:
Top Bottom