Which movies made you cry?

The Ultimate Gifts, I am Sam, Three Idiots, I Not Stupid.

Well it's OK to shed a tear or two.

Instinct (Anthony Hopkins) - I'll need to rent this one again.
My Sister's Keeper - Caleb Deschanel's cinematography on this one done it I think, along with a touching story.

There's a few more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

TV Series?... Bones, almost every episode gives me that lump-in-the-back-of-my-throat feel.

The Notebook. When the movie finished everyone in the cinema was in tears. The blokes were sobbing quietly in their hankies but the girls were bawling out loud. My wife said that even in the loo afterwards the girls were still crying out loud. That is a 3 hankie movie just for blokes!!! It is terminally sad!!!

Magnolia by P.T.Anderson. It's like a train wreck in slow motion.

Lilo and Stitch, The Blindside, Forest Gump, and The Persuit of Happiness

The Whole Wide World
A tragic love story, wonderful music, wonderful acting, the best kiss of all movie kisses ever, and the only romantic movie a man can watch since it's about Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan.

But there's more. See, this horse I sometimes mention, she was like my best friend, and I sold her out to move here. Oh sure the woman promised she'd never be sold, but a horse's place in the family is always tenuous. It's a personal nightmare of mine that she ends up like Black Beauty did, but without me there to rescue her.
I hear you sister. Over my lifetime I've only had two horses for the same reason. Took me a long time to give up the first one, even though she really wasn't the one for me. Have a great mare now, but only because I found someone even less likely to give up the first one than me.

Little Big Man, Dances With Wolves, Medicine Man, March of the Penguins, Avatar. I'm not a guy, but I don't think I cry easily.

I don't cry ever at movies. I remember welling up once but I couldn't tell you the movie. It might have been Up or Toy Story 3.
The only time I remember crying was when I was young. Maybe pre-teen and I was watching a movie called "Moscow on the Hudson" starring Robin Williams. He plays a Russian circus musician who has a hard life but visits New York City with the circus. There is a scene where he decides to defect and seek asylum in the US. When he does it, the rest of the group is forced back on the tour bus. He chases the tour bus to try to get his friend to defect as well (it was originally that friend's idea but he chickened out at the last minute). As he is running down the NY street he is crying with tears of joy that he is free but also tears of sadness because he is alone in a foreign country. I was an 11 year old balling my eyes out. I think I found the rest of the movie boring.
That was the only time I saw it. But I remember it well. I am sure that if I went back to watch it today, I would find it laughable. But that's the only movie I can remember shedding a tear for.

the only movie that ever made me cry was tae-guk-gee (i forgot how to spell that) brother hood of war

the ending is pretty tragic, a 2 brothers very close to each other are drafted into the korean war and the older one does anything to get his younger brother out of the army, and drama insues

The end of Toy Story 3 got me..
As well as Marley and Me. Lol.

No mans land.....a european film made about a soldier laying on top of an anti personel mine in Bosnia/Herzogovina.

My youngest recently figured out that when I'm choked up and try to keep the tears in I jerk with little internal sobs, but no tears fall.

Curses, now she watches me closely when we watch things like the Notebook. Luckily they play the Notebook so often that I've become callous.

Rudy
It's a Wonderful Life
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles ("You keep trying to pick a fight, but I'm just happy you're alive.")
Saving Private Ryan
Sound of Music
Monsters Inc.

The last two need some 'splanin, but luckily I wrote a blog post about it a while back, here.

Maybe we should also list what doesn't make us cry even though it makes a lot of others cry.

Click and Titanic top that list for me.

I don't remember crying at Up, but I probably did, one soulmate dying before getting to their big adventure sounds tear jerking but I don't remember it. When I even think of Private Ryan at the end when he questions his value it makes me tear up. Up just doesn't do that for me.

I also don't tear up for baseball movies. I hate baseball.

Last edited:
I don't remember crying at Up, but I probably did, one soulmate dying before getting to their big adventure sounds tear jerking but I don't remember it.

Oh man, not just the beginning, but the end too, where...

[SPOILER ALERT]

He finds an extra pages in the "adventure journal" that he never noticed before, where his wife had put pictures from their marriage, explaining that their time together was her "adventure", along with a final message telling him to go on and live his life.

And this gives him the strength to literally let go of his house and to symbolically "let go" of his emotional baggage and attachment to the past.

I'm getting a bit watery-eyed just thinking about it...

JJ

Movies that make me cry...

- Marley and Me
- Finding Nemo (I know it's stupid, but last movie I shared with my dad so...)
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Neverland
- Love Story

Titanic, but only the first time.
The Lion King (always!)
Free Willy films (I'm really involved with the anti-captivity movement, and I can't actually make it through these any more).

Top Bottom