Which of these Tenor Uke would you recommend?

Fhede

Reaction score
I was browsing the tenor ukuleles available in the used market (in Argentina), and I found these. My idea is to wait to get a good opportunity (good price) for an Ohana TK20 or TK20CE, but since I saw other options, I share so that you can give me your opinions, and I continue learning.

ModelPrice in USDTonewoodType of BuildingElectric?Hardcase?
Martin T1K
505​
KoaAll solidNoYes
Pono MGT
505​
MangoAll solidNoYes
Cordoba 20TM-CE
164​
MahoganyTop SolidYesNo
Ohana TK20CE
191​
MahoganyTop SolidYesNo
Ohana TK20
137​
MahoganyTop SolidNoNo
Ohana TK10
82​
MahoganyLaminateNoNo

Last edited:
You're comparing instruments in drastically different price ranges. You'll have to decide what fits your budget.

Wood preference is likewise personal. Koa, mango, and mahogany are all used in great instruments.

Pono and the Martin are both highly regarded brands. I absolutely love my Pono Mango Soprano. That said, the necks can be decisive. Some people love them, but others find them unplayable. You'll have to try it out to see how it fits your hand.

Of the others, I'd probably pick the Ohana TK20 as I generally prefer to avoid cheap onboard electronics. I don't use them, so their just a heavy, unsightly waste. Others live 'em. From a brand POV, I prefer Ohana to Cordoba, but I'm not sure I have a good reason for that. My preference may be that Ohanas are sold by my favored vendors and Corodobas by ones I trust less. This isn't relevant to your used market, and the Corodobas I've played had been fine.

The Martin and Pono are more likely to be end game instruments. The others you're more likely to want to upgrade later. That said, there are plenty of options to upgrade from that Pono / Martin level, and some people are happy with Ohanas as their end-game.

You may be at a point in your UAS that you want to churn through instruments to experiment and the inexpensive ones may work better for that. It may be easier to resell the higher end ones if you decide to flip them.

You're comparing instruments in drastically different price ranges. You'll have to decide what fits your budget.

Wood preference is likewise personal. Koa, mango, and mahogany are all used in great instruments.

Pono and the Martin are both highly regarded brands. I absolutely love my Pono Mango Soprano. That said, the necks can be decisive. Some people love them, but others find them unplayable. You'll have to try it out to see how it fits your hand.

Of the others, I'd probably pick the Ohana TK20 as I generally prefer to avoid cheap onboard electronics. I don't use them, so their just a heavy, unsightly waste. Others live 'em. From a brand POV, I prefer Ohana to Cordoba, but I'm not sure I have a good reason for that. My preference may be that Ohanas are sold by my favored vendors and Corodobas by ones I trust less. This isn't relevant to your used market, and the Corodobas I've played had been fine.

The Martin and Pono are more likely to be end game instruments. The others you're more likely to want to upgrade later. That said, there are plenty of options to upgrade from that Pono / Martin level, and some people are happy with Ohanas as their end-game.

You may be at a point in your UAS that you want to churn through instruments to experiment and the inexpensive ones may work better for that. It may be easier to resell the higher end ones if you decide to flip them.
Thanks Arcy for your feedback!
Yes, I know that there are apples and oranges! hahaha!!!
As I said, I will most likely buy an Ohana TK20 when I find a good opportunity, you know that I'm just beginning this Uke-trip, so I will take a time, but as I'm very curious and in some way I enjoy so much learning, I ask these "open" questions! 😅
Sometimes, I think that I enjoy learning more about instrument than playing them! :rolleyes:
The Used Market in Argentina is extremely limited, I literally included all the options of an a minimum quality and at a reasonable price.
I enjoy quality instruments, but I clearly know that a Ohana TK20 is more than enough for my playing and needs.

I was browsing the tenor ukuleles available in the used market (in Argentina), and I found these. My idea is to wait to get a good opportunity (good price) for an Ohana TK20 or TK20CE, but since I saw other options, I share so that you can give me your opinions, and I continue learning.

ModelPrice in USDTonewoodType of BuildingElectric?Hardcase?
Martin T1K
505​
KoaAll solidNoYes
Pono MGT
505​
MangoAll solidNoYes
Cordoba 20TM-CE
164​
MahoganyTop SolidNoNo
Ohana TK20CE
191​
MahoganyTop SolidYesNo
Ohana TK20
137​
MahoganyTop SolidNoNo
Ohana TK10
82​
MahoganyLaminateNoNo
I bought a Pono MGT recently from TUS. I like almost everything about it, and the TUS setup is perfect.

The one criticism I have of this ukulele is that it isn’t super loud, and I was aware of reviews that warned of that before my purchase. So I’m ok with that, but it is something to consider. I think the instrument is better for fingerstyle than strumming.

I bought a Pono MGT recently from TUS. I like almost everything about it, and the TUS setup is perfect.

The one criticism I have of this ukulele is that it isn’t super loud, and I was aware of reviews that warned of that before my purchase. So I’m ok with that, but it is something to consider. I think the instrument is better for fingerstyle than strumming.
Thanks!
I read your post about yours of Dec 2022!
Interesting!

Congrats for your purchase!

I'll go for a Mono or a Martin only if I get a bargain!

The instruments are just a hobby for me... but at the same time, and in some way they are a jobbie (I have a guitar blog). So I am not afraid of investing more in instruments... that why although an Ohana will be fine for me, I don't discard buying a Pono or a Martin.

Last edited:
If you already own a decent sounding and playing instrument, then I would recommend that you save up for a Pono or Martin.
They will up your playing enjoyment.

I have owned 6 Pono tenors; you get a lot of bang for your buck with them. Well made, and they have very good sound. I liked my 2017 MGT very much. It was my workhorse for over a year.

That being said, I bought a used 2013 Martin T1K with satin/matte finish last year and I regret not getting one earlier. I think it's easier to play with a thinner neck and body. It feels lighter, but not fragile and more maneuverable. Very good sound that's maybe a little thin on the lower tones. Sure, it's not as good overall as my Martin 1T IZ. But it's around $1200 cheaper. To me, it is an ideal ukulele for a beginning tenor player. Easy to strum, easy to finger pick, just a terrific, no frills, versatile tenor.

In the cheaper price range, I would rather get an Islander than any of the models you mention. In the more expensive price range, I like Opio better than Martin or Pono.

In the cheaper price range, I would rather get an Islander than any of the models you mention. In the more expensive price range, I like Opio better than Martin or Pono.
The Islander are not available in Argentina. There is a company that bring them from the US (I guess): SAT-4 at USD 900, SAC-4 at USD 875, and MOT-4 at USD 740, and there is a used MS-4 at USD 150, a bit expensive for a "cheaper price range"! :oops:
Regarding the Opio, nothing!!!
Here in Argentina, you can find some brands at a similar price of US (+20% / 40%), and other more than the double than in the US.

Congrats for your purchase!

I'll go for a Mono or a Martin only if I get a bargain!

The instruments are just a hobby for me... but at the same time, and in some way they are a jobbie (I have a guitar blog). So I am not afraid of investing more in instruments... that why although an Ohana will be fine for me, I don't discard buying a Pono or a Martin.
I’m sure the market in Argentina is very different than in Portland, Oregon! Find the one that makes you happy. Best luck!

What type of music do you want to play on Ukulele ?
What do you play on guitar ?

There is a price difference on all of those, which you don't seem to be comparing. But out of the ones on your list I would choose the Pono or the Martin. And I'd prefer a gloss finish myself.

Too bad you are in Argentina - I'd sell you a real sweet Pono Tenor.

From your list - I'd pick the Pono hands down.

And I never had any issue with any of the Pono's I have or have had with being quiet. Volume on all of them was very good.

If the cost isn't an issue I'd recommend the Martin T1K. For the best cost vs value, the Cordoba 20TM-CE.

Top Bottom