Which one for classical repertoire (Low G)

dAmphere

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm focusing my attention on a few Anuenue tenors recently: AKK3, AMM3, Moonbird and Lion Orange. Really hard to choose one.

So I really like to know your advice: what's your preference among them for a Low G uke that will play mainly the classical repertoire?

Generally I go with Daddario Titanium and Worth clear low g.

Thanks so much!

What's your preferred sound for classical? Do you like the more traditional guitar sound of Spruce/Rosewood. The warmer koa? The warm Mahogany?

From the reviews the Lion has excellent note separation. My aNueNue Moonbird UT200 is bright and has phenomenal sustain. What are your priorities for an instrument when you play classical?

I'm not familiar with Anuenue and I can't be arsed with googling them. I'll tell you what is important to me when playing, for example, Bach or St. Colombe. It is the fret board. Of course, we're talking about low G. Re-entrant is a waste unless you're considering campanella arrangements. Anyway, you need as many notes as possible because of the dynamics of classical music. Therefore you need a cutaway. Without a cutaway, you are missing the highest 20 notes on the fret board unless you do some agile gymnastics to get around the upper bout of the ukulele. So regardless of what model you choose, it should have a cutaway so that all your frets are accessible. At least that's my experience. I always play ukes with 19 frets and all of them are accessible.

Here’s a comparison of my wife playing my Lion vs her Moonbird (both high g). The Moonbird will sound a little louder in the sample because she struggles to hold tenors without straps and only hers had one. In real life, I would say they both sound good (e.g., the Lion sounds better than my regular HF-3), but between the two I prefer the sound of the Lion, which is warmer and more resonant in person. Both have good note separation and, unlike AKK or AMM, both give you access to the upper frets based on shape. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Lion vs Moonbird

Thank you guys, really useful. Still not sure, but I think I will go for the Moonbird..

All of these are really nice sounding ukes. Depends on what you want to hear, and how much you want to spend.

Top Bottom