Which renowned Luthier uses x bracing?

JazVM

From all the Ukes I played, the x braced ones always carried the most magic for me. Who of the big names does x bracing?

Thank you :)

rainbow21

This does not answer your question, but may be a starting point:

Dohle

aNueNue ukes from the Moon Bird and 3K Koa models upwards use something called Mt. Fuji bracing which essentially is x bracing. Not sure what kind of bracing is on the 1K Koa models but it's not the same as the more expensive models.

Joyful Uke

I saw a Kinnard on the HMS site (or Ukulele Friend?) not long ago that had x bracing, I think. Sounded fantastic. I don't know if Kinnard is switching over to that bracing, but apparently it would be an option for a custom, at least.

Peter Frary

Not renowned luthiers but the California made Kala Elite series have X-bracing. I wouldn't call them magical but they tend to be robust and full voiced.

rainbow21

I saw a Kinnard on the HMS site (or Ukulele Friend?) not long ago that had x bracing, I think. Sounded fantastic. I don't know if Kinnard is switching over to that bracing, but apparently it would be an option for a custom, at least.

Joyful Uke

Yes, that's the one. Someone is going to get a great Kinnard at a good price for a Kinnard.
While I try to pretend that I don't have UAS, I'm glad that I can't play tenors, so this one can't tempt me. LOL.

Citabria

There's a beautiful Oulcraft baritone on Ukulele Friend with X bracing:)

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Matt at WoU just did a really interesting comparison between otherwise similar Martin Beck ukes, one of which has fan bracing and the other has X bracing:
Wow you are quick. This was just posted!! Great comparison.

ripock

I had never thought about this. I just let the luthier do his thing when I bespeak a uke. However I like the fan-bracing better. Yes, the X-bracing seems louder, but is that necessarily a good thing? The fan-bracing seemed to create a more nuanced sound (assuming of course that the bracing, and not the countless other factors, contributed to the sound). Having watched the video, I don't think it is worth the energy to have an opinion on this. I am currently having a custom baritone made, but I am not going to ask for one bracing versus the other. They are both nice. I will just let the luthier do what he thinks best for my instrument.

Edspyhill05

Matt at WoU just did a really interesting comparison between otherwise similar Martin Beck ukes, one of which has fan bracing and the other has X bracing:
I favor the Fan Braced ukulele. The X Braced ukulele sounds good and I would like to own either one. I think nylon strings, and the other non-metal strings we use, sound best with Fan Bracing. Nylon strings have a broader sound with fan Bracing. But I played Classical Guitars for most of my forever amateur guitar playing life, so my ears are conditioned to Fan Bracing.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
I agree with Ripock. If I like the sound of the tenor, I don't care which bracing method the builder uses.*

*Unless there is a history of the sound boards getting wavy or developing a belly.

merlin666

Is this interest in x bracing a new fad? This type of bracing became popular for steel string guitars with large bodies and long scales 0M and bigger about 100 years ago. Very few classical guitar builders use it as it makes small bodies too stiff and the required thin tops become challenging to work with. I don't see benefits for small uke bodies, but if there are luthiers who specialize in this and can make it work then there is certainly credit due.

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Not sure if it is a recent fad but my ukes that have X-bracing sound great. I do think it's the builder that is key here. I think any bracing would sound good but really depends on the builder's design. The moon birds/koa birds have x-bracing and they sound fabulous, in resonance, tone, and volume. My cedar bird is a canon and has tone as smooth as butter. Again, the bird series is based on a custom builders design in Japan by the name of Mitsuta Morihiko. I think the Anuenue X-bracing sounds better than the fan bracing (which also sounds very very good) of their anuenue series (AMM, AKK, PAS, Dream). But there is a significant price difference.

Also, pono has a new lattice bracing with their master series that sounds fantastic. I think they should use this bracing on all their pono ukes...

Builder over bracing is important.

Last edited:

Doc_J

I've had and still own a few x-braced ukes (by John S. Kinnard, Josh Rieck, David Hurd, Bob Gleason) to name a few.
All sounded great.
But, it's the luthier, not the particular bracing that makes them great.