Which strings from classical string set for baritone?

jricc

I was just given a Mitchell solid spruce/lam rosewood baritone. It needed the D and G strings. I bought a set of Daddario Pro Arte normal tension strings. Which strings out of this classical set do I use for the bari? To me it makes sense to use the D and G from the Daddario set. But the tension of these two strings is very rubber band like.
Thanks in advance.

Jim Hanks

To me it makes sense to use the D and G from the Daddario set. But the tension of these two strings is very rubber band like.
That shouldnt make sense.🙃 Those strings are designed for D and G on guitar scale, almost 26", and you have a 20" scale instrument. @Bill1 is correct that you want the 5th and 4th strings.

if you want to use the top 4 strings, you can, but you will have to tune higher to get a normal tension. Somewhere around F Bb D G - which I highly recommend trying sometime, by the way

Margaret74

I'm now using an inexpensive set of classical guitar strings on my Kala KA-T tenor ukulele, and it has a completely different sound/tone than it did with regular strings, deeper and more to my liking. (I utilized the bottom four low strings in the G-C-E-A tuning.)

These strings are only about £2 a set! Normally, I use fluorocarbons, which cost about £7 each set, so I'm saving money as well.

merlin666

If you buy a guitar set and only use four strings what do people do with the leftover two? Those could be two Es two octaves apart which could have some creative options.

kissing

Yup, as others have said, using the middle 4 strings (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd) would achieve DGBE tuning on a baritone uke.
The DGBE strings (4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st) would achieve GCEA tuning on soprano to tenor ukuleles.

tonyturley

Strings by Mail is good about selling individual strings or partial sets. I just bought a set of Hannabach trebles plus the 4th string for GCEA tuning on one of my instruments. Until someone else clued me onto that I often had two unused strings that usually got tossed after laying around for a while.