Which U Bass Should I Get?

You mean a bass uke is not small enough? I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years and was often told I should play bass because I have good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered a large and heavy electric bass, forget a stand up bass. Then a year after I joined a seniors ukulele group, the asked if anyone would like to take up the bass. I looked around and discovered bass ukes and even mini electric bass guitars and went for it. I now have 28 from 20.5" to 24" scale and find them to be very comfortable.

If you have a hand that's under 6" from wrist to tip of middle finger, yes. I'm lucky I get enough stretch to play a concert. I'm not like those 6 year olds that have a ridiculous amount of stretch in their hands. These old paws don't work like that anymore lol

If you have a hand that's under 6" from wrist to tip of middle finger, yes. I'm lucky I get enough stretch to play a concert.
You don't need to stretch much for bass since you're rarely playing chords. You can shift your hand to reach notes rather than trying to hold down multiple strings for a chord. You can get a lot of mileage in a small part of the fingerboard just playing roots and fifths (or even just roots).

If you have a hand that's under 6" from wrist to tip of middle finger, yes. I'm lucky I get enough stretch to play a concert. I'm not like those 6 year olds that have a ridiculous amount of stretch in their hands. These old paws don't work like that anymore lol

You don't need to stretch much for bass since you're rarely playing chords. You can shift your hand to reach notes rather than trying to hold down multiple strings for a chord. You can get a lot of mileage in a small part of the fingerboard just playing roots and fifths (or even just roots).

As Arcy said. Do you realize that regular bass is played one note at a time captain-janeway? So it does not matter at all the measurement of your finger spread, unless you plan on playing some very exotic chord bass. A bass uke shorter distance from one fret to another makes it so much easier than a standard bass, which if you observe, the player has to slide their hand back and forth over the neck to get to the notes, in most cases on a bass uke, you have move your hand slightly to get to the next note.

You mean a bass uke is not small enough? I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years and was often told I should play bass because I have good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered a large and heavy electric bass, forget a stand up bass. Then a year after I joined a seniors ukulele group, the asked if anyone would like to take up the bass. I looked around and discovered bass ukes and even mini electric bass guitars and went for it. I now have 28 from 20.5" to 24" scale and find them to be very comfortable.

I tried a Kala U-BASS a few years back before ukulele interest. It was my third or fourth bass to experiment with since 2009, and my first small one. I ended up with the Shredneck Z- Bass as it's a 32' bass scale, but a micro body. Also preferred steel strings, albeit nylon covered.

Amp on the way

Wellsir ... I got the U Bass yesterday, and I like it. I was checking out a video about them and when I heard the difference between being plugged into a bass amp I purchase one that wasn't too expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOYO-Smart-Electric-Portable-Mini-Bass-Amplifier-Amp-Dual-Channel-For-Practice/133579875044?epid=15042556764&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1f19fb22e4:g:BtsAAOSwaspftI0M&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkBUIiHwYv5YgVss0WaiENz2BjWZPz1KO4SxPnYZFSLRfgVskJnCTIch%252FYXiShlEePSAoqU41FzLVjC9yEMHZqDGt9i5RNzEvGVSm0iZf9Il8q6iXpTXmUEkeb8kAnJcy7N9OHQf8b65TCNZQmh9daIHF3oEjUmVl%252FihaHF3UhpnFOAEbZTK9GHZAqlNIZHMPnGspjY4P%252F6dPSDpBjMIuRHysZ1rqGjajpGrJSRj2iSyjpoiBgvcl%252FzZNZuVti5rRRdHFctuQleZbwDoO0CmLJZWWIA83UIvD9R9YTi6FgenifXqMHP73HZWHkTYz1WVE2aDju%252BZylJfp2KAq2WHrsjP0dAsV8KTscGcHVIf2%252FRikVAF%252Fge5HCuYh50mr5ge2skC3tE%252FcjwnLUtdltKS3RPWI0xxwNQCXdqF4Mo4bQYZETLT3wkLXBIWjTPLt7w3nrLS78HwFVge1hVbGpGor5AhwRrvfVU95EoKlRb8mcEH89CBjOvA2EJiyvr57QiU80ZjPmFu6P4vIwAVj5FZ3qzL%252FKRw9SwFKQ9h3vD%252FU7K6Bu1wmE9epyOeIg1jpO9ftZMXIlnNHVn2qFAwo5kwn2I0WA8E3414y39e1HrbUQJoZhmRqTWFBELJjg1hO%252F0R%252Fezx2LmZeD4d90KeNsIZ3VnbIb8Yc3lp6WbY1lQT4QSj%252B%252ByzwKKK8w1BErO49A7OYrcnlJUko1Q%252Fi9%252BxLZN6ojUXCXvKCWPw7ae6E%252BeIEjIjUMqeJONzXoMqYNA0RLGcyQMSg9gs6x%252Br73AnTKsJ9z8pcnl8HzC3vM9BbfWBmj1Ug%253D%7Ccksum%3A1335798750441912ff5883c441cca63cbb4ada7a101b%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

I only play for myself so this will be prefect for me.:shaka::rock::nana:

As Arcy said. Do you realize that regular bass is played one note at a time captain-janeway? So it does not matter at all the measurement of your finger spread, unless you plan on playing some very exotic chord bass. A bass uke shorter distance from one fret to another makes it so much easier than a standard bass, which if you observe, the player has to slide their hand back and forth over the neck to get to the notes, in most cases on a bass uke, you have move your hand slightly to get to the next note.

No I didn't. I've never played one, just thought they were cool. I love the sound of bass. Then again, I want to play banjo. I'm kind of schizoid in what I want to play lol. I don't know that I have a great ear teaching myself after 60. My messed up knee made me quit dance so I need something to play with instead.

You can also center focus around the 5th fret for shorter reaches...but I like the lower tone more around the third fret.

Top Bottom