Who Owns A Pohaku Ukulele? Show us your pics!!

It's gorgeous Josh. Coupla quick ones...

* Have you filmed a video with her yet? If so, please give us a link!

* What is the width at nut? Sorta looks like 1.5 but I know he often builds 1.7/16.

cheers mate

It's gorgeous Josh. Coupla quick ones...

* Have you filmed a video with her yet? If so, please give us a link!

* What is the width at nut? Sorta looks like 1.5 but I know he often builds 1.7/16.

cheers mate

Thanks Jon. Haven't done a vid yet, but need to. I'm working on a few new songs and will try to catch a vid soon. Honestly, I'm not sure about the nut width. If I had to guess, it's 1&7/16. Just feels like goldilocks, not to big and not to small. Im lucky in that nut width doesn't make a great deal of difference to me. Scale length does however. I love playing sopranos and tenors are fun, but for me concerts are the sweet spot. Pohaku builds a canon. The arch on the back is very pronounced and the lower bout is rather wide. The big bottom also makes it an extremely comfortable concert to hold. His attention to details is also amazing. He almost book matched the maple sides to the grain on the back. Also, you can see the grai of the fir top goes from narrow to wide. If you look at the maple neck, it has the same narrow to wide grain pattern matching the top.

He currently has a "fog city meats" soprano on his website that I would love to pick up. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it looks incredible and am certain would sound like a million. Great price too.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the nut width. If I had to guess, it's 1&7/16. Just feels like goldilocks, not to big and not to small. Im lucky in that nut width doesn't make a great deal of difference to me.

Nut width alone is not the whole story.

For example, my Pohaku has a wider nut than my Martin but the strings are much closer together.

Martin
Nut width = 1 13/32
Width across strings = 1 7/32

Pohaku
Nut width = 1 7/16
Width across strings = 1 1/16

The contrast is easier to see in metric:

Martin nut = 36mm Strings = 31mm
Pohaku nut = 37mm Strings = 27.2mm

Thus the Pohaku has a lot of fretboard room between the outer strings and the edge but less string separation.

The Pohaku strings also taper from bridge to nut more sharply.

How this affects the under-finger feel and playability and how much it matters is obviously down to individual perception.

pete

Nut width alone is not the whole story.

For example, my Pohaku has a wider nut than my Martin but the strings are much closer together.

Martin
Nut width = 1 13/32
Width across strings = 1 7/32

Pohaku
Nut width = 1 7/16
Width across strings = 1 1/16

The contrast is easier to see in metric:

Martin nut = 36mm Strings = 31mm
Pohaku nut = 37mm Strings = 27.2mm

Thus the Pohaku has a lot of fretboard room between the outer strings and the edge but less string separation.

The Pohaku strings also taper from bridge to nut more sharply.

How this affects the under-finger feel and playability and how much it matters is obviously down to individual perception.

pete

These are great points Pete. I've noticed a few 1&1/2 inch nuts that have the exact same string spacing as 1&3/8 ukes. Again, for me it doesn't matter. Between my guitars and ukes I easily transition from 2 inch nuts to 1&5/16. If I did have any preference, it's at the other end. Since I mostly finger pick, I prefer a little extra spacing at the saddle. Neck angle, relief, overall set up, string tension, fret size and body dimensions are the things I consider for playability. As particular as I am about those issues, I am surprised nut width is a non factor for me.

Now who else has a Pohaku they would like to show off??? I'm looking at you Lakesideglenn.

Last edited:
I've owned 4 Pohakus. The only only I still have is my "Olive" Koa tenor. It's a shade under 1.5 inches at the nut and the string spacing is 2 inches wide at the saddle, which is crazy wide. Nice for picking. I don't have a decent picture of it, but here's one of my favorite videos that I've made with it. I'd love to get a mahogany concert from Peter someday...

Me, Olive, and Peter in 2011:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I too have stubby fingers and prefer narrower necks, but my tenor has such nice low action that it helps

Sold this Pohaku soprano, years ago....what was I thinking?

attachment.php

View attachment 77087
\

You weren't !!! That fret board is awesome! (or was awesome) ;-)

Last edited:
Here is my 2nd recent Pohaku acquisition. This was from Koa that Peter carried over here from Hawaii where he lived many years ago. I am glad to see there are other Pohaku owners here on UU. I wondered where everyone was!

Most of the best playing and sounding ukes in my collection are my Pohaku's along my Barron River and Kinnard.

2015-03-09 19.04.22.jpg
2015-03-09 19.04.00.jpg
2015-03-09 19.03.33.jpg

keep 'em coming....love the photos. Thanks!

I'd say yours and mine are from the same stash of wood Jay

IMG_0407.jpg

Last edited:
Pohaku Aero Uke: Only one made with a Cedar top and Koa body with a highly figured solid Koa neck and geared tuners. Plays and sounds like a dream!! Unless you own or have played one...you have no idea how beautiful these Aero Ukes sound. :D

!BuuHtb!EGk~$(KGrHqUOKjkEvPNkw1Y5BMBd2LK4+Q~~_12.jpg!BuuHwOwB2k~$(KGrHqIOKiwEvN0B3mm,BMBd2bUZ+Q~~_12.jpg!BuuHrC!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKj8Ev(u4g6ITBMBd19jyqQ~~_12.jpg!BuuHygg!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKnQEvyFr)DIMBMBd2nq6TQ~~_12.jpg!BuuH)d!EWk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEvPP1BkV1BMBd2iWVt!~~_12.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom