Why do you own more than one ukulele?

I can't wait to own more than one uke..... but I'm taking my time. Two kids and two mortgages certainly slows down the UAS, but I've also only been playing less than a year - I want to continue to improve to the point where I have a better idea of what type of instrument is going to suit my needs before I shell out four figures for an ukulele. My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for our 15th anniversary in two years..... I'm a firm believer in playing an instrument before I buy it, so I'm preparing her already for making the rounds and spending a few days exploring the uke market in the islands..... I have a feeling she's going to be spending some quality alone time on the beach....

That's a long time to wait, though...... my little Kala laminate tenor has been a great starter uke, but I may pick up something a little nicer to get me through the next few years..... I'm hoping to go to UWC this year, which is conveniently close to Mike at Mainland.....hmmmmm......

Why do I have more than one? Cause they look better hanging on the wall if you have a variety. Plus if the song doesn't sound right on the 1st one by the time you've played it on the last one it sounds really good. Same with sizes start small and work your way up to the big guys. Stretches those fingers. Does that answer the question?

coz i love em, i love the different sounds with the different woods, i love setting them up differently and i love em again and again

I gotta admit I'm on Team I-Don't-Know-Why-I-Have-More-Than-One-Uke. I suppose it's some deep seated hoarding-like personality trait. I have many guitars, cameras, computers and gadgets of all kinds. Could try to rationalize, but at the end of the day, I get a charge out of the hunt and acquisition. I'm such a fan of the music and more so the artistic aspects of the physical instrument. The aesthetic and probably more important, the musical craftsmanship of the luthiers on this board is something I admire greatly. To be able to not only create a great looking piece but a great sounding and playable piece of art just blows me away. Add to it the fact that so many nice ukes are "relatively" accessible. Certainly more so than nice guitars.

I literally can feel my pulse quicken when a uke I've coveted hits the marketplace. I've even done the ol' "but I bought it as a gift to you" thing. My wife just rolls her eyes. She's got shoes and handbags (not a stereotype in our case), I've got my ukes etc. I have slowed acquisition down as I think I'm more in tune with what I like, but it took some of the previous buys to figure it out.

OK, so let's try to put a virtuous intent to it... I'm doing my best to single-handedly support the uke economy.

Or it's a cry for help.

Because I can.. :D

Oh.. there needs to be a reason?
Lol! I just like vintage ukes. I have two baritones so I can tune one DGBE and one CGEA. I have five sopranos (I originally played only in ADF#B tuning but now find I play more in CGEA and it's handy to have different ukes tuned differently). Really, though, I just love old ukuleles. That being said I am saving up to someday own a Mya Moe. And an old Kamaka. Someday when I'm rich I'll own a vintage Kamaka.

I like the sound that the soprano has for the tin-pan alley songs I love so much.
I like the sound that the concert has for my favorite Hawaiian mele.
I like the sound that the super Concert has for my favorite singer-songwriter songs of the 60' and 70's
I like the sound that the Kamaka 8 string has for hula
The kala travel I use when I travel. the sound is okay but the size is great.

Each size has a different voice. That is why I need so many.

Last edited:
Now that we have the room for it, we have seven ukuleles in the living room. Three of them are solid wood instruments and need to be in their humidified cases unless they are being played.

The other four are not humidity sensitive ukes and are strategically placed throughout the living room so that we can grab one and jam at any moment.

I have two.

I play just one of them. It satisfies. Periodically I get restless and switch to the other, which satisfies. This cycle recurs every 1-2 months.

Anyway, that's why I have two. I'm satisfied! :p

..it took 10 'ukeleles to get to this state of satisfaction.

Because I have obsessive compulsive disorder lol.

No I started off with an eleuke just because my friend was getting into ukes but he had all these really crappy hand made ones from indonesia that he was raving about but they were awefull, really badly made and all buzzy and impossible to tune, no matter how much i tried to point out that they were rubbish he was just in total denial, so i saw the eleuke in the music shop and they had it on special for $170 aud and I bought it just to show him what a well made uke was like and to get him to see that he was going to have a hell of a job trying to onsell these crappy indonesian ones.

Now he has given up on indonesia and is trying to make them himself in his big shed, and since then I have bought 2 makala dolphins and a tanglewood concert.

Whats your answer when that question is posed?
Why do you own more than one book?
Why do you own more than one music CD?
Why do you watch more than one TV channel?
Why do you have have more than one cat?
Why do you use more than one finger?
Why do you play more than one string on your guitar? Or one key on your piano?
Why do you have more than one character in WOW?

I own them all for different reasons, gifts to me, upgrading, differing sounds, they are all unique in the way the sound and they all give me something else in my playing. I play every one in rotation, so they all get played...and why not?

Top Bottom