Why is strumming and singing so hard?

captain-janeway

X

Is this not the overused Swiss army knife strum?

It works well for a lot of songs. I've been try to learn other strums individually just to get used to the rhythm of them and learn how to hear them better in a song.
I try to ignore the strum patterns people list on sheets because I find I get so hung up trying to follow the strum that I lose track of the feel of the music.

Barrytone

Try tapping the rythmn on your uke as you sing. When you can keep time then use that same beat across the strings. As others say, start slow.

Jim Yates

The D-DU-UDU strum (which I've never heard called "the Island Strum") is the most common strum that folks trying out acoustic guitars in the music stores where I've worked used. Every other kid who picks up an acoustic guitar will use this strum to try it out. It does have some syncopation, and it sounds good for some things, but it is definitely over used. Some throw in a DUDU-UDU or D-DUDUD- or DU-UDUDU or another variation every few bars to break up the monotony.

Last edited:

Rllink

The D-DU-UDU strum (which I've never heard called "the Island Strum") is the most common strum that folks trying out acoustic guitars in the music stores where I've worked used. Every other kid who picks up an acoustic guitar will use this strum to try it out. It does have some syncopation, and it sounds good for some things, but it is definitely over used. Some throw in a DUDU-UDU or D-DUDUD- or DU-UDUDU or another variation every few bars to break up the monotony.

Fifty years ago, when I first picked up the guitar and started learning to play it that was the strum you learned. I've heard it called the island strum since I picked up the uke, but I just always assumed that ukulele players on the islands simply used the basic strum.

merlin666

The people I teach usually already know how to read music and play some instrument. So when it comes to using uke to accompany a song I always start them out as simple as possible which are downstrums on each quarter note. Then when they can get through their song singing simply and strumming down I add up strums on the eighths. And once that is mastered they get to the variations of up and down strums on various beats. This does not take long at all when you approach it systematically.

Last edited: