Why no fret #3 fret dots?

If one of my ukes doesn't have a dot, I add it.

Okay, how? I'm finding that I'm really missing it. I wanna third fret dot! But I don't want to guess at a solution that won't work when somebody has already blazed the trail!

For example, I see dots and other inlays as stickers at AMZ. They any good? Some other method?

Thanks! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this!

Last edited:
Opps ; left that one out .

I've acquired one ; but haven't tried yet .

I have watched an all dulcimer group ; and was impressed .

I've used the dots from Amazon 'cause I too like a 3rd fret dot. The ones I got worked fine. They have several different colors and the smallest side dot is bigger than most ukulele dots.

Okay, how? I'm finding that I'm really missing it. I wanna third fret dot! But I don't want to guess at a solution that won't work when somebody has already blazed the trail! For example, I see dots and other inlays as stickers at AMZ. They any good? Some other method? Thanks! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this!
Yes, I've bought dots and other fret markers from Amazon, eBay, and direct from the manufacturer in Japan, Jockomo. They work great, mine have been on for years, but can be removed as well.

Fret stick-on markers.jpg

Okay, how? I'm finding that I'm really missing it. I wanna third fret dot! But I don't want to guess at a solution that won't work when somebody has already blazed the trail!

For example, I see dots and other inlays as stickers at AMZ. They any good? Some other method?

Thanks! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this!
Pre-cut dot stickers, which are usually available in various sizes and colors at craft stores, work just fine. Or you can make your own dots using a hole-puncher and sticky-backed paper (or non-dot shaped stickers). If you don’t have any sticky-backed paper, you can make your own by sticking a piece of two-sided tape (or poster tape) to one side of a regular piece of paper (whatever color you want). If you want to protect the top of the paper, simply add a piece of scotch tape to the top of the paper. You now have a three layered stack (two sided tape/paper/scotch tape). Punch a hole in the stack and you now have a dot that you can stick on your fretboard. This is the method I used to cover the tiny dots on my Kala long-neck soprano with slightly larger ones. They’ve been on the uke for a couple of years now, with no problems whatsoever.

I just commissioned a custom baritone with diamond inlays on the front of the fret board at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 etc. but side dots only on 5, 7, 10, 12. For whatever reason looking down and seeing a 3rd fret side dot annoys me, but aesthetically it would look unbalanced to leave off the 3rd inlay on the front (I don't look at the front when playing) Hey... that's just me!!
I've been known to cover up 3rd fret side dots too.

You could also use a paintmarker or do it correctly by bying mop dots in 2 or 3 mm, buy a forstner drill bit and insert the dot witha bit of glue. I use he edge of a ruler to press it flush with the neck.

For me the transfer dots work but do get damaged very easily.

Top paintmarker, bottom mop.
2022-11-10 10.00.29.jpg2022-11-10 09.58.38.jpg

I've made dots with dabs of nail polish on the tip of a toothpick, cut to the appropriate size (used almost like a rubber stamp). One could also get more aggressive and use a tiny drill bit to start a hole then fill with paint/nail polish.

But back to the ot...why no fret #10 fret dot? My flea has fret dots on #5, 7 and 12, but not on #10. Is there a particular reason for skipping #10? #12 is where the neck meets the body, so not really needed there imo.

The late Eric Weissberg (the banjer player in Dueling Banjos), had a banjo with markers on every fret. Purely decorative, since they couldn't be used. He likely had side dots at more useful frets.

Eric Weissberg markers on every fret.jpg

i'm w/ Patty on this one. (oh, and WebParrot - just saw that post!)
on the few custom instruments i've commissioned i have asked specifically
for a clean fretboard - w/ markers on the side only.
after all, in playing position they are the ones you really use as a guide.
that said, it's purely an aesthetic thing for me.
I find this amazing! I have never just looked at just the side markers. Gotta run, gotta try this out. :cool: Iv'e always looked at the nice fret markers . Hmmm....

Last edited:
Two years after the fact, I now realize that I only added fingerboard fret markers to Yowling Tom (including 3rd fret) because I believed they were “supposed” to be there. As @ripock mentioned, the side fret markers are what really matters because you (well, I) can’t see fingerboard position dots/ inlays whilst I’m playing.

Top Bottom