Willie Wixom custom ukes from Northern California

Okay, gang, we recorded a couple of digital audio files that will be posted on his web site in the next not too soon.
And I couldn't resist the pull any longer ... WA Wixom tenor #105 is now my "Mandy".
Koa, ebony and just a delight. It's one of the ukes we recorded.
Yeaaaa .... New Uke Day!!!

Okay, gang, we recorded a couple of digital audio files that will be posted on his web site in the next not too soon.
And I couldn't resist the pull any longer ... WA Wixom tenor #105 is now my "Mandy".
Koa, ebony and just a delight. It's one of the ukes we recorded.
Yeaaaa .... New Uke Day!!!
As a Sacramento resident, I've been watching this tread closely. Thanks, gokidd. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear a review of "Mandy" when you get a chance.

I checked out Willie's website again and looked at the for sale ukes. $425 for a solid koa & ebony fretboard/bridge tenor with slotted headstock? If it's even as good as a typical K brand uke, it's a steal (and I would expect a luthier built instrument to be better than factory built). I'd love to see a review or video demo of these ukes.

I just ordered a custom uke from Willie. After speaking to him on the phone and getting him to play me a sound sample over the phone (yes I know--very tough to tell whether it's any good, but you get a general idea), I get the sense that he really knows what he's doing. Although he is a newcomer, he has been building ukes for 3 years and from speaking to him, he clearly has a passion for this. Be forewarned though, he's already starting to sell his stuff and he's getting orders, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up changing his prices sometime soon. My uke wont come till about March or April, but when I get it, I will do a thorough review.

I'm interested in a superconcert, did ya'll play one of those?

Thanks for posting about these ukuleles. I just bought serial no. 106, a koa tenor with a slotted headstock and a nice sapwood streak. Woo hoo!

Thanks for posting about these ukuleles. I just bought serial no. 106, a koa tenor with a slotted headstock and a nice sapwood streak. Woo hoo!

Oh, yep, I remember playing that one and it has a wonderful voice. Congratulations!

I'm interested in a superconcert, did ya'll play one of those?

Sorry, ras, I missed this post until just now. The day I bought my tenor Willie had a long-neck soprano in the works, but I don't remember seeing anything in superconcert.

Gokidd, can you comment on the weight of these ukes? They look heavily built but pictures can be deceiving....thanks!

Gokidd, can you comment on the weight of these ukes? They look heavily built but pictures can be deceiving....thanks!

Hi, K:
The bodies are light and resonant. I was holding one of the koa body tenors (don't remember which one) in playing position and I could feel it react to speech in the room, if you know what I mean.
I could feel it vibrate in my hands and against my chest.
The necks are more substantial than import uke necks that I've played, so it fills your palm nicely, but it doesn't feel head-heavy when playing. If I balance the tenor on my index finger, that point is just about where the heel blends into the rest of the neck.
Braces inside the body are strong-looking, but must be plenty light for the top and back to be so resonant. No glue globs inside or anything unsightly.

Oh, yep, I remember playing that one and it has a wonderful voice. Congratulations!

Great to know! Willie was planning to upload a sound sample for this ukulele, but I decided not to wait, as I was worried it might be gone by then. He's been great to deal with. I can't wait to get this one!

Hi, K:
The bodies are light and resonant. I was holding one of the koa body tenors (don't remember which one) in playing position and I could feel it react to speech in the room, if you know what I mean.
I could feel it vibrate in my hands and against my chest.
The necks are more substantial than import uke necks that I've played, so it fills your palm nicely, but it doesn't feel head-heavy when playing. If I balance the tenor on my index finger, that point is just about where the heel blends into the rest of the neck.
Braces inside the body are strong-looking, but must be plenty light for the top and back to be so resonant. No glue globs inside or anything unsightly.

So did you buy a uke or was really tempted...hmmm

Thanks Gokidd, that sounds very reassuring to me as I like a light build with a lot of responsiveness. Even though he's relatively new to this market, it sounds like he's on the right track. Thanks for the detailed description!

So did you buy a uke or was really tempted...hmmm

Oh, sorry, Mystery Man. I mixed my tenses.

I was describing the first time I saw the ukes (in November or December) when talking about the "resonance of the bodies" experience.
All the detail observations regarding the neck and braces came over the past two days since I bought mine. Yup. Sorry for the confug-sion.

HEY ... sound clips are now posted on Willie's web site!
They are at the very bottom of the home page.

Oh, sorry, Mystery Man. I mixed my tenses.

I was describing the first time I saw the ukes (in November or December) when talking about the "resonance of the bodies" experience.
All the detail observations regarding the neck and braces came over the past two days since I bought mine. Yup. Sorry for the confug-sion.

HEY ... sound clips are now posted on Willie's web site!
They are at the very bottom of the home page.
Mahalo Gokidd,
Sounded pretty nice..congratulations on your new ukulele..may you
have many years of happiness and enjoyment....
Yes, the sound clip Casey is on the bottom left of the page, it worked
for me... MM Stan

I supplied a Willard Wixom one of my kits about a year ago... same guy? I dunno but that body shape looks mighty familiar. Anyway, he isn't doing the luthier community any favors charging those prices!

I applaud him and Mike Perriera ukes, Black Bear ukes, Brad Donaldson for making their ukes accessable for us ukers who cannot afford the high prices of some makers..no hard feelings..just saying..

Top Bottom