Wood colored paste for binding/purfling touchup

mandodiddle

I've always had a devil of a time with making maple binding gaps disappear in particular.
I came across this product recently and have been really pleased at how it can repair binding/purfling gaps of any colored wood.
Sometimes you have to mix colors to find the perfect touchup, but with a little bit of trial and error you can touchup almost any binding gap very aesthetically.
Give it a try if you have a need. (Got it for $15 on Amazon)

Attachments

• IMG_8518 (2).JPG
    IMG_8518 (2).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 40

sequoia

This is a great tip for fixing those little annoying gaps that can happen when gluing on binding. I sometimes get a small gap that always seems to be at the same spot on the inside edge of the upper left bout. It is small (maybe 1/32 of an inch or less) but it is a gap and I don't like it. Sawdust and glue always dries a shade darker so being able to match out of the tube is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

lauburu

sawdust and glue always dries a shade darker
So we (I include myself in this group) have 2 other options:
1. Use a lighter shade of sawdust with the glue
2. Use dark binding. It seems the eye is very good at spotting thickness variations in a white line but not so good when it comes to dark lines.
Miguel

mandodiddle

Sequoia,
It takes a little experimentation, but it gives us a lot of options. I think you'll like it.

mandodiddle

It is supposed to dry in 1 - 3 hours, but I'm finding it more like 24 hours before my fingernail won't put a dent in it.
(They just say that it is resin based.)

Vespa Bob

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind giving the name of the product? I can't quite make it out on my computer. Thanks.
Bob

Timbuck

SEISSO 12 Pcs Floor Repair Kit Cover Wood Furniture Scratch Restorer Filler for Wooden Table, Door, Floor, Desk, Cabinet ...on Amazon​

mandodiddle

Bob, I had a touch up binding job that I had to leave for 48 hours before I could come back to it. This time I found the paste still a little soft. Haven't noticed that before, but all my previous binding touchups were much thinner.

Vespa Bob

I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps heat would help, like that from a hairdryer? My order should arrive today and I'm looking forward to trying it out!
Bob

sequoia

The next question of course would be how it takes a finish. All I can find is that it contains "a natural resin" whatever that might be.

jupiteruke

I have found that for matching things in a variety of woods, that artist pastels work very well. They are available in hundreds of shades (you need a good art supply store). Just rub them across a piece of paper and collect the dust. Very easy to blend a couple of colors. Work the powder into the crack or around the inlay, hit it with a little thin CA glue, and you are done instantly. The colors only darken a very little bit under CA, I think because the pastel powder already is stuck together (loosely) with a binder.

lauburu

Nice idea with the pastels. Will definitely give that one a try
Miguel