Worth strings help

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Need some advice on worth strings. Looking at the web I realized that they have different types. I.e CL, CM, CF, CT, CT-LG.

I am looking for strings for my concert size uke. From what I understand

C = clear strings
L = light
M = medium
F = fat
CT = tenor strings
CT-LG = low G for tenor

Firstly what do you guys use? Medium gauge or light gauge strings?

And do they have a low G for a concert? If not can you fit a low G from the tenor strings on the concert?

How does the Martin strings compare to worth? They are the M600 right?

Thanks all in advance
Ryan

Last edited:
I'm certain there is a Worth CM set for concerts. Low G too, unwound (a good thing in my opinion). Great strings.

Worth strings are fluorocarbons and Martins are nylons. Never used Martins but lots of people love them.

And you get 2 sets of strings with the Worths. They come long enough to cut them in half.

Last edited:
I usually use Medium Clear, or Medium Browns. I found the non-wound low G to be the same thickness no matter what the scale.

–Lori

I use the Worth CD soprano/concert fluorocarbon strings on a couple of my ukuleles. Very nice strings for me. The tension is described as "strong" and I believe that is quite accurate as you will feel these strings whether plucked or strummed. The Worth CM are "medium" tension. Both come in 46" length so you get two sets of strings from each pack. The Martin M600's are fluorocarbon also. If you were to string two identical ukuleles one with Worths and the other with Martins I'll bet I could not tell the difference. As a matter of fact I forget on which ukulele I put the Martins.

Worth strings are fluorocarbons and Martins are nylons. Never used Martins but lots of people love them.

Small side-question. I've seen some Martin M600's packaged as "Crystal Nylon" and others as "Clear Fluorocarbon". Did they reformulate at some point or is this just different terms for the same thing?

I've had both Worth Clear Mediums and Martins on concerts. Like 'em both very much. Also look at Living Water strings by Ken Middleton, another clear fluorocarbon. Pricy (a little less than Worth but only one set). They're all great strings with minor differences, but I'd put them (in ascending order) Martin<Worth<LW.

I use the clear mediums on my concerts. But I haven't seen a Low G set for concerts from Worth. For that, I substitute a D'Addario NYL026W (wound) for string #4. I have tried many strings over the years and, at least for my Koaloha concert, have always come back to the Worth treble strings. I did try the Martin fluorocarbons once and couldn't tell the difference between them and the Worths. Both excellent choices.

Small side-question. I've seen some Martin M600's packaged as "Crystal Nylon" and others as "Clear Fluorocarbon". Did they reformulate at some point or is this just different terms for the same thing?

I've had both Worth Clear Mediums and Martins on concerts. Like 'em both very much. Also look at Living Water strings by Ken Middleton, another clear fluorocarbon. Pricy (a little less than Worth but only one set). They're all great strings with minor differences, but I'd put them (in ascending order) Martin<Worth<LW.

What about Kala Pearl strings? Do they sound similar to the Worths?

I've never tried the Martins but have looked at them online and only saw the "Crystal Nylon" moniker... that's all I based my comment on. I've actually been thinking of trying them. Seen a lot of good reviews.

I've used and like Worth CMs and Living Waters but not on the red cedar pineapple.

Have worth BM lowG on my concert and love the mellow tones.

Top Bottom