Would you buy this ukulele with cracks

a green field

Reaction score
That's a really nasty crack on the soundboard. It's repairable but not seamlessly.

I think it is massively overpriced. I would take a punt on it for 1/4 of the asking price. Used instruments like this are a gamble.

I'm just guessing, but having a competent luthier/craftsman fix those cracks would probably run you a couple of hundred dollars. It's not a repair job for an inexperienced amateur. That brings your total investment up to ~$450. That's not much less than a brand new one. I'd see if the seller is willing to go lower and then decide if the whole transaction is worth your time, effort, and cash.

Thanks folks for chiming in - looks like this probably isn't worth my while - I prefer the looks of the Cocobolo with more sapwood anyway, so I ought to just be patient!

You can get onto their weekly "lottery" drawing for various ukes. I think the sopranos ran about $500 last time I checked. That doesn't look like a "hairline" crack to me.

The question in the title is "Would you buy this uke with cracks?" I would, if I wanted it enough, but I have had a lot of experience repairing ukes, so that kind of crack wouldn't put me off, provided the price was right. The repair would always be visible on close inspection, but not too obviously disfiguring.

It is a nice looking instrument. I guess it depends how much you want it, and how confident you are that you could make a good job of fixing it yourself.

John Colter

I *might* pay that price if the cracks had been repaired and stable afterward. I don't have the skills the fix it myself so I personally would not buy it in its current condition

No, I wouldn't. The price is too high for a crack of that size. It's not an attractive-enough looking Cocobolo to be lusting after it, either, as it's rather plain.

I wouldn't buy a cracked Uke. In fact, I wouldn't keep a cracked Uke. There are way too many perfect instruments out there to be messing around with defective ones.

I wouldn't buy a cracked Uke. In fact, I wouldn't keep a cracked Uke. There are way too many perfect instruments out there to be messing around with defective ones.

I'm glad God doesn't feel that way about us. :p

In all seriousness, I think that is too narrow a view. I haven't had a uke crack (yet?) but I did have a lovely whistle that cracked two days after I got it. I tried a quick repair myself and failed miserably. I sent it back to the maker and he fixed it. If you look close you can see the scar but it plays as beautifully as it did before. (There are also some lessons there relative to my first sentence, but I'm not trying to get derailed into religious talk. :shaka:)

On the other hand, there are instruments that are cracked and have been repaired which sound and play great. On a vintage instrument it may help to think of them like creases in the face from a life well lived.

Whatever works!

"I wouldn't buy a cracked Uke. In fact, I wouldn't keep a cracked Uke. There are way too many perfect instruments out there to be messing around with defective ones"

Your neighbor, Willie Nelson, would not agree with you. George!:rolleyes:

John Colter

Interesting take.

I have a KoAloha tenor I bought new. It acquired a hairline crack on the top (unlike the post mine actually is hairline). I considered returning it to KoAloha for a repair but the ukulele has been stable for years, plays beautifully and as Marie Kondo says "sparks joy'? You think I should trash it?

Attachments

• KoAlohaten.jpg
    KoAlohaten.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 34
I have a beautiful Concert Kohaloha that plays perfectly. I bought it new and I accidentally knocked it a few weeks after. It has a 2 inch’s crack in the back but still plays and sounds perfectly.
I tried to sell it at a reduced price in France, but everyone who reached out changed their mind when they saw the paragraph talking about the crack. It’s like they see a beautiful Koaloha at a reduced price, they write to me without even reading the description then when they do, they immediately say « oh sorry, I read your post too fast, I didn’t know about the crack »…
So now, if it turns out that the « market value » of this ukulele is lost, I will use it as my outdoor ukulele and I don’t care anymore about damaging it more then it is since it’s unsaleable anyway !
I will have a very high end travel ukulele that I never dreamed of and without stress :)

A good luthier can easily fix it. I have seen some that are virtually invisible. It will not affect the playing and will just look well loved!

Old thread but relative information if anyone is still looking for a Cocobolo Ukulele. I purchased a 5 string tenor a few months ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. Oddly I received an email earlier today with a sale on their current stock (no lottery plus discounted prices). I feel like a salesman but i get no kickbacks!! Just a fan and can assure you they’re a pleasure to work with and my ukulele showed up in the states the same week I ordered it (they come from Nicaragua).

I bought a solid wood ukulele with a cracked top from eBay this year... $68... It plays great... and I have no intention of ever getting it fixed.

If it fails completely someday, there is little to cry over. That's what a half a tank of gas costs, and I "burn" that weekly...

I use it as a loaner at school and take it to Class. The kids should hear a good sounding ukulele when I'm teaching, and I should have a ukulele that I can hand to a 10 year old kid who wants to give it a try without fear...

I agree with the above suggestions: If it's a flawless ukulele with solid re-sale value you are after, buy new.

If you want to revive this orphan and make a gift to the ukulele universe -

Or make a statement towards sustainability -

Then buy it and get it fixed.

Or just buy it and play it and see if you hit the jackpot! If you want to see if you can get a bargain that might turn out to be a personal favorite, and you don't intend to re-sell it... well... negotiate a discount or just go for it... it's not THAT much money...

I enjoy buying these damaged ukes and rescuing them from the scrap heap... give me a warm fuzzy somehow that I like. And it makes for a better story as well, which is worth something to me.

My purchase was a winner... and when someone asks me "What's with that crack?" I get to tell a story AND play a song.

So: Decide what it is that motivates you and act accordingly!

If this was in the Fender Universe it cost more and be called “Road Worn”. One thing about older ukuleles and newer used (loved) ones are honest battle scars; however don’t be surprised if the distressed look hits the market (artificial “mojo”). Oops, as i type this i’m now remembering seeing the Martin StreetMaster.. oh well…
My 1920’s Kumalae has a big scar on the back and still sounds absolutely fantastic.

Take a look at this: It appears that maybe the cable leaving the pickup did this damage... Interesting!
So: would you buy it?

Top Bottom