WTB..... but looking elsewhere

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I plan to buy several ukuleles to give as Christmas gifts this year. Unfortunately, just about all the advertisements here at UU specify deliveries are made only to CONUS of "lower 48." So I shall shop elsewhere.

What type of responses are you hoping for here?

I plan to buy several ukuleles to give as Christmas gifts this year. Unfortunately, just about all the advertisements here at UU specify deliveries are made only to CONUS of "lower 48." So I shall shop elsewhere.
IIRC you’re in Hawaii, if you ask folk about delivery to there then it’s likely that they’ll see what’s possible for you. Shipping outside of the 48 might have additional cost implications but it doesn’t harm to ask.

What type of responses are you hoping for here?

Exactly ...

Most often the “shipping to CONUS” or “shipping to lower 48” refers to the applicability of the shipping quote. Most sellers are willing to ship elsewhere but the shipping rate needs to be calculated separately in those instances (and will likely be significantly more).

I think most of the time the "shipping to lower 48" isn't "only shipping to lower 48" but "free shipping to lower 48." I shipped a tenor across the country and the shipping costs were about half the price of the uke. Someone sent me a soprano in a case and it was about $70. When you're already selling for less than you purchased, you're taking an even bigger hit on the shipping as well.

What I'm saying is, I'll ship anywhere, but at a certain point I need the buyer to pitch in to help cover shipping costs. So I'll advertise free shipping to lower 48, and if someone is outside of that we can discuss splitting the shipping or some other deal.

I haven't bought or sold here yet, but have done so previously on/through other forums specific to other objects of affection. ;)

For myself, I'll add: shipping and ETAs are more uncertain than ever right now due to global logistics disruptions and gridlocks near and far. UPS halted all guarantees at some point last year, and USPS deliveries are subject to local challenges and variables.

International shipping introduces an increased timeframe (minimally), potential customs/paperwork logjams, and more uncertainty. The longer or more involved each chain of possession, the more opportunity for the unexpected.

I'm queuing up something to sell soon, and will keep to the 48 contiguous US states for these reasons-- I need the transaction to as quickly and seamlessly as possible (for both parties' sakes). Through no fault of international sellers/buyers, and even understanding that "it's always worked well before, I don't foresee issues," etc on anyone else's part, I am not willing to take on extended timeframes and greater risk at this time.

~ S.

As you live on Hawaii which is the epicentre of the uke-verse, a prudent approach would be to negotiate a bulk order with one of the local stores and not bother with shipping and associated issues at all.

Top Bottom