WTB- Martin 5-17 or 5-18 guitar

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know that it’s a long shot but some uke player may have a very small Martin 6 string guitar for sale. Not interested in a tenor model.
Thanks

I have a 5-16GT (2003). I advertised it a while ago on the FB group Martin guitars buy sell trade. No response so far. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435140583408687)

If you join the group you can post a WTB which might be seen by just under 30K Martin Guitar enthusiasts. I doubt that it will be a long shot there, I will be surprised if you can't find a seller in the group.

Unless you live in Perth, Australia or have a trusty contact to do the logistics for you, I wont be interested in selling my Martin. I think I put that in the For Sale post, which may still be there.
I'll join the FB group. I'm not in Perth but I have been there. I ordered a couple of ukes from Wise in Margaret River. Not planning a return trip any time soon. Do you have yours in Terz tuning?

Three 5-18gt are listed on EBay. All from Japan and strangely they each have the same photos. Scammer? And I got a “Hey Buddy” pm that seems scammy too.

Three 5-18gt are listed on EBay. All from Japan and strangely they each have the same photos. Scammer? And I got a “Hey Buddy” pm that seems scammy too.
Not necessarily scammers on eBay. Quite a few Japanese sellers relist Japan-only listings from Rakuten and Yahoo on EBay for international buyers. They usually mark them up a fair bit. They don’t actually have the item but would order it when you ‘buy’ it from them, and then post it to you.

I have a 5-15, but it’s definitely not for sale. I keep it in “Nashville Terz” tuning and it adds an extremely unique sound to my overall tonal palette.

Best of luck in your search! I’ll absolutely keep my eyes open for any size 5 Martins for you.

Scooter

Last edited:
I have a 5-15, but it’s definitely not for sale. I keep it in “Nashville Terz” tuning and it adds an extremely unique sound to my overall tonal palette.

Best of luck in your search! I’ll absolutely keep my eyes open for any size 5 Martins for you.

Scooter

What string set do you use for Terz tuning?

I’m trying to find a steel string version with 1 3/4 nut. Pretty sure the 5-16 was built for nylon.

Yes,it arrived. I’ve got it strung for G to G tuning. I’m getting used to the nut width. It’s got a fuller sound than I was expecting. I’m also trying to figure out transposition on the fly.

Yes,it arrived. I’ve got it strung for G to G tuning. I’m getting used to the nut width. It’s got a fuller sound than I was expecting. I’m also trying to figure out transposition on the fly.
Congratulations! As you get more comfortable with it, I highly recommend trying the “Nashville“ Terz tuning at some point. It makes it sound like a mini harpsichord almost.

BTW, keep in mind that if you put a capo on the second fret you‘re in linear ukulele tuning.

Scooter

Congratulations! As you get more comfortable with it, I highly recommend trying the “Nashville“ Terz tuning at some point. It makes it sound like a mini harpsichord almost.

BTW, keep in mind that if you put a capo on the second fret you‘re in linear ukulele tuning.

Scooter
I recently purchased a Martin Backpacker guitar that I have tuned to Nashville. Lots of shimmery goodness. I also own several autoharps for that kind of tone.
The capo on 2 idea is interesting. I’ve never had a guitarlele so I guess this could mimic one.

Top Bottom