WTB: USED Kanile'a 5-string Super Tenor K-1 ST

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
IAW the topic's headline, I am seeking a USED Kanile'a 5-string Super Tenor ukulele. For one in excellent condition I will pay max $1300 + $100 shipping to Hawaii zip 96706.

If this Super Tenor hunt fails, I will consider a USED Kanile'a 5-string tenor K-1 T (non-Super) for $1100 + $100 shipping to Hawaii zip 96706.

My long-time favorite uke dealer is seeking a NEW Kanile'a ST 5-string costing not more than $1500 + shipping. I seriously doubt he will succeed. There's a lovely one at Reverb but they want $1700 + shipping (ouch!) & won't budge a penny from that asking price. So my best hope is to find a used one in the price ranges I mentioned above.

I am mainly a strummer so I love 5-stringers for their rich, full sound. I have two pretty good ones now but (to my ears) Kanile'as are creme de la creme. So I'm hoping I might get lucky with this thread.

Which other 5-string tenors do you have? I might be interested if you decide to sell one of those if you succeed in your quest.

I have an Aklot 5-stringer -- laminate hog B&S, solid hog soundboard. Also have an Ohana all solid hog 5-stringer. The Aklot has a strong projection plus a uke-ier sound. The Ohana sings sweetly -- it is warmer & mellower than the Aklot. Oddly enough, most of my friends prefer the sound of the much cheaper Aklot. I use the Aklot when playing with groups. I use the Ohana for strumming along when I'm alone & want to sing. Neither uke is likely to be up for sale (I'm 91 & have PLATOONS of grandkids & great-grandkids standing in rows, waiting to inherit my ukulele collection).

The Ohana 5-stringer is easy to find on Ebay. The Aklot 5-stringer often shows up at aliexpress.com.

Both of these are covered by several demos on youtube.

I purchased an Aklot five string to try this type of ukulele. I didn’t want too drop the big bucks on Kanile’a until I determined I like it. I like them just fine so , now watch and saving for Kanile’a. I believe they build the best. For the money Aklot is fine. I did have to file frets and tweak it. I’m considering putting Graphtech on it because a). It’s neck heavy b) I want to try Graphtech planetary. Tuners come with it are fine……just playing around. Good luck on finding the Kanile’a .

Well, so far there have been 109 views of this thread with zero offers -- zilch, nada (sob). I suppose that Kanile'a 5-stringers are rather rare or else those who own them love them too much to sell them.

By the way, Just about every one who has played either my Aklot or Ohana 5-string ules has ended up buying a 5-stringer. If you have never tried a 5-stringer, I suggest you do so. They have a very full & lovely sound.

Agreed on the five string comment and on the Aklot sounding and playing well above it’s price range. I’ve never played the Ohana. Too bad not more five strings out there. What strings are you currently using on your Aklot? I’ve got Oasis warm high g set and purchased a D’Addario .029 wound D string from guitar set. It sounds great.

Living Waters on my Ohana. Based on your post, I shall try your Oasis warms BUT with a Fremont Soloist low G, on my Aklot.

I will likewise try Living Waters and the Uke logic. I was planning on getting a Fremont soloist low G to try along with a fluro carbon low G and perhaps a Aquila Red low G. Next order I mat get Oasis Brights in low G also.. so many options. Post if you end up with a five string Kanile’a. Good luck!

Top Bottom