Your favorite Low G string set? (Replacement for Southcoast LML-RW)

Linho

Reaction score
Aloha,

my last set of Southcoast LML-RW snapped and I need replacement. Unfortunately Southcoast Ukes seems to be gone?

What is your preferred Low-G string set (on concert or tenor)? I really loved the LML-RW with its wound G and C String.

By the way, I just used my last Southcoast Light Medium Gauge set, I love this High G strings on my concert, is there anything close of different brand?

Cheers
Linho

Worth Brown low G is my favorite but the Worth Clear low G is probably closer to your South Coast strings.

Thanks for the replys – it seems however that neither of your suggestions have a wound g AND a wound c string? I really liked the feeling and balance of two wound strings.

Maybe I should give Fremont Ukulele Strings SOLOIST Wound Low G Polished a try with a Thomastik Infeld CF-27 as wound C?

Are there no complete Low-G sets with wound g and wound c string available?

Edit: I just discovered the Ko'olau 'Alohi Strings with wound c and g string. Description says: "crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue. They have a polished, smooth feel analogous to nylon, but with a slightly brighter tone and increased projection" – I prefer thin flourocarbon over thick nylon, any reviews of these strings? Especially if the wound strings aren't too "sqeaky" while sliding?

Last edited:
I'd try the CF30 for G and CF27 for C and then pair with your favorite flourocarbon trebles. Oasis warms would be cheap to try

On the LM replacement, I'd try Living Water. The tenor set would be another good source for LML replacement trebles, or you could get a custom pack of just E and A strings since you know you won't be using the G and C strings

Ko'olau 'Alohi Strings with wound c and g string.
If they haven't changed since I tried them many years ago, they were kind of thumpy and warm. Much more like an old-school Hilo brand nylon sound than anything fluorocarbon. Not anything like what I experienced from Southcoast sets.

I'd send Joel an email and see if he can put together a double wound Uke Logic set for you.

If they haven't changed since I tried them many years ago, they were kind of thumpy and warm. Much more like an old-school Hilo brand nylon sound than anything fluorocarbon. Not anything like what I experienced from Southcoast sets.

I'd send Joel an email and see if he can put together a double wound Uke Logic set for you.
Uke Logics are my favorite strings. Joel does do some custom sets, Brad's suggestion is a very good one.

You can get sets of Savarez strings prepared for ukulele from: Stringsbymail.com
Pretty sure they offer sets with just wound Low-G and with a wound G and C.

Thanks for the replys – it seems however that neither of your suggestions have a wound g AND a wound c string? I really liked the feeling and balance of two wound strings.

Maybe I should give Fremont Ukulele Strings SOLOIST Wound Low G Polished a try with a Thomastik Infeld CF-27 as wound C?

Are there no complete Low-G sets with wound g and wound c string available?

Edit: I just discovered the Ko'olau 'Alohi Strings with wound c and g string. Description says: "crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue. They have a polished, smooth feel analogous to nylon, but with a slightly brighter tone and increased projection" – I prefer thin flourocarbon over thick nylon, any reviews of these strings? Especially if the wound strings aren't too "sqeaky" while sliding?
The 'Alohi trebles are D'addario "Titanium" nylon. Fairly hard tension, good tone if you like to dig in. They have this tendency to go sharp as they get warm, so you need to tune, play for a few mins, then tune a second time before they're stable. I've used them on guitars as well, decent if you like the nylon sound. Most folks here like the flourocarbon sound.

Oasis has come out with a set called the UKE-8200BL “Linear Southcoast baritone double set” at $14.95.
It comes with the bronze wound 4th and bronze wound 3rd, just like the original South Coast. But it says baritone Dave, what’s up with that. The wound 4th is .033” and the 3rd is .027” in diameter, these sizes work perfectly with a tenor tuned GCEA. The florocarbon 2nd is too big at .30” (most tenor gauge are .026”) but the 1st at .024” will work.

Check them out at Strings by Mail. I have two tenors strung up with this set, I replaced the .030 second string with a single Oasis .027.

Let’s look at the cost. If you bought this for just the wound G&C strings it would be $7.50 per pair (remember this is a double set) That works out to $3.75 per wound string, cheaper then the Fremont Soloist wound low G at $4.50, remember they don’t make a wound 3rd. Nobody does in bronze like South Coast did until now from Oasis. The other alternative is as Jim said the CF30 and CF27 steel flat wound by Thomastik at $6.00 a piece.

I also have this full set on my Kamaka baritone and they sound and play great. I am very happy with these strings for both baritone and tenor (replacing the 2nd string as mentioned above on tenors)

Last edited:
...Nobody does in bronze like South Oasis did until now from Oasis...
I haven't tried these yet so don't know if they'd work, but GHS also has bronze wound 3rd and 4th strings in their baritone Set100. The 3rd is .029 and 4th is .034. The 2nd is .036 so would need replacing like the Oasis set. They also have a set H-100 where the 3rd and 4th are silver-wound and .027/.034. Both available from Strings by Mail at ~$6.

Oasis has come out with a set called the UKE-8200BL “Linear Southcoast baritone double set” at $14.95.
It comes with the bronze wound 4th and bronze wound 3rd, just like the original South Coast. But it says baritone Dave, what’s up with that. The wound 4th is .033” and the 3rd is .027” in diameter, these sizes work perfectly with a tenor tuned GCEA. The florocarbon 2nd is too big at .30” (most tenor gauge are .026”) but the 1st at .024” will work.

Check them out at Strings by Mail. I have two tenors strung up with this set, I replaced the .030 second string with a single Oasis .027.

Let’s look at the cost. If you bought this for just the wound G&C strings it would be $7.50 per pair (remember this is a double set) That works out to $3.75 per wound string, cheaper then the Fremont Soloist wound low G at $4.50, remember they don’t make a wound 3rd. Nobody does in bronze like South Coast did until now from Oasis. The other alternative is as Jim said the CF30 and CF27 steel flat wound by Thomastik at $6.00 a piece.

I also have this full set on my Kamaka baritone and they sound and play great. I am very happy with these strings for both baritone and tenor (replacing the 2nd string as mentioned above on tenors)
I have been playing a Frankenstein set of Thomastik chrome flat wound bases and Savares trebles for years now. The fine people at stringsbymail have even packaged a custom customer set under my name so I don’t even have to browse the single strings any more. The flat wound’s are particularly good if you play amp’d most of the time, as I do, because they are totally silent when you slide up the neck and they don’t unwind at the fret positions as do round wounds.

Ditto. I love these new Oasis "Southcoast" strings.

I'd try the CF30 for G and CF27 for C and then pair with your favorite flourocarbon trebles. Oasis warms would be cheap to try
I am using the exact pair with worth browns and like the combo on a laminate baritone turned into a super tenor. I have Freemont Blacklines on my other "super tenor " with the wound pair also. I find it difficult to choose which combo I like better.

Worth Brown Low G.

I usually try to stick with the main brands and tried and true sets, so I don't end up not being able to find what I want.

Aloha,

my last set of Southcoast LML-RW snapped and I need replacement. Unfortunately Southcoast Ukes seems to be gone?

What is your preferred Low-G string set (on concert or tenor)? I really loved the LML-RW with its wound G and C String.

By the way, I just used my last Southcoast Light Medium Gauge set, I love this High G strings on my concert, is there anything close of different brand?

Cheers
Linho
Did the whole set snap or just one single string? If you have some used strings of the same set around you may be able to replace individual broken string with little overall change of sound.

Top Bottom