Your favorite Low G string set? (Replacement for Southcoast LML-RW)

Worth Brown Low G.

I usually try to stick with the main brands and tried and true sets, so I don't end up not being able to find what I want.
How thick is the low G compared to wound? I certainly will not be able to accommodate anything thicker than an Aquila Red low G.

D'addario fluoro, with a fluoro low G on my Kala tenor. The strings feel soft, and the response feels a little delayed, but they really project well IMO. I like em

Aloha,

my last set of Southcoast LML-RW snapped and I need replacement. Unfortunately Southcoast Ukes seems to be gone?

What is your preferred Low-G string set (on concert or tenor)? I really loved the LML-RW with its wound G and C String.

By the way, I just used my last Southcoast Light Medium Gauge set, I love this High G strings on my concert, is there anything close of different brand?

Cheers
Linho
Worth Browns for me! I've tried a lot of different strings and keep coming back to them.

Worth Clear CT-LG

I use them on my tenors and concerts. Great feel and tone.
I buy them, and all my strings, from Strings By Mail.
Check them out!

I have been playing a Frankenstein set of Thomastik chrome flat wound bases and Savares trebles for years now. The fine people at stringsbymail have even packaged a custom customer set under my name so I don’t even have to browse the single strings any more. The flat wound’s are particularly good if you play amp’d most of the time, as I do, because they are totally silent when you slide up the neck and they don’t unwind at the fret positions as do round wounds.
I've played these Hollis and have them on my Hive right now. Nice balance to them.

Not that my playing is up to the level of these strings and the Hive Hornet. But I'm getting there...

Thanks for the replys – it seems however that neither of your suggestions have a wound g AND a wound c string? I really liked the feeling and balance of two wound strings.

Maybe I should give Fremont Ukulele Strings SOLOIST Wound Low G Polished a try with a Thomastik Infeld CF-27 as wound C?

Are there no complete Low-G sets with wound g and wound c string available?

Edit: I just discovered the Ko'olau 'Alohi Strings with wound c and g string. Description says: "crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue. They have a polished, smooth feel analogous to nylon, but with a slightly brighter tone and increased projection" – I prefer thin flourocarbon over thick nylon, any reviews of these strings? Especially if the wound strings aren't too "sqeaky" while sliding?
I recently tried a set of D'Addario black nylons and they had wound low G and C. I'm not real fond of the wound C myself.

I'll second UkeSA by Pops Koaloha. This set has really impressed me lately on several different brands and tonewoods from Koa to Cherry and Mahogany.

I like Worth browns on my tenors but I change out the low G for a Aquila wound low G . I buy them as singles from Strings by mail, product number 16 u.

I put Pepe Romero low g fluorocarbons (with wound G) on a Kala laminate tenor. I'm very pleased with the sound.

lots of good suggestions. Experiment. Different strings for different Ukes - and Ears.
And eyes. I don't really care about sound. I have good ukes and they're gonna do what they're gonna do, and whatever they do it won't be too far away from other ukes because ukes are ukes. I'm all about the looks. I always go for dark strings which I feel complement our dark fretboards better than white strings. If someone would make a tasteful colored string, like a hunter green or a burgundy...I would buy that in a heartbeat.

And eyes. I don't really care about sound. I have good ukes and they're gonna do what they're gonna do, and whatever they do it won't be too far away from other ukes because ukes are ukes. I'm all about the looks. I always go for dark strings which I feel complement our dark fretboards better than white strings. If someone would make a tasteful colored string, like a hunter green or a burgundy...I would buy that in a heartbeat.
Have you checked out Aquila Reds? Very nice looking, kinda red-brown that's almost maroon, and they sound good on my concert.

I've played these Hollis and have them on my Hive right now. Nice balance to them.

Not that my playing is up to the level of these strings and the Hive Hornet. But I'm getting there...
I would love to play a Hive someday. There’s something about the arc of the bouts that looks so gorgeous.

She is a good lookin' girl with a beautiful voice.
Front.png
Photo of my Hive Hornet tenor from the original HMS listing. I acquired it from a Forum member.
Hive Ukuleles is what Jake calls his company. Hornet is the model name. It has a salvaged redwood top and Indian rosewood back & sides.

Last edited:
Dear D'addario-

Please, please, please make an NYL027w. The NYL028w works perfectly on my concerts and tenor, but is just a tad tight on the tenor.

-moi

Last edited:
What kinda uke is that? Kinda looks like the Rebel headstock a little. Beautiful!!!!
I should have said in the caption. It's my Hive "Hornet" Salvaged Redwood/Indian Rosewood tenor by luthier Jake Maclay. Hollis mentioned it in the previous post, so I thought I'd show a pic of mine so people would know what we were talking about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom