Your summer vacation...with ukes

I always take my Kamaka Tenor. My wife is kamaaina and we fly over every year, usually in October for 5-6 weeks. I take it in to the shop and have them buff out the finish.

When we travel in our camper I take my spruce top Ohana tenor. We’ve got the room and I worry less about damaging it (than my Loprinzi or Martin ukuleles) because it is already damaged and repaired, and isn’t all solid. I could take my son’s old laminate Mitchell soprano but the sound quality is seriously lacking.

Sometimes I play it, sometimes I don’t, but when I do I enjoy having it.

I'm going this route on my next airplane travels (not car road trips)... found a new KA-15 for $24 shipped and the amazing bonus is that it needed no work on the frets or action (calling pure luck on that). small is good and bombproof isn't necessary (and the sound of outdoor ukes no longer appeal to me).
it can be damaged, lost or given away I won't really care too much.

The thread got revived and I read through it again. My own old Mahalo Sopranos (for travelling and anything risky) were given to a good cause and I use my Kala KA-S and -P for everything. Why? They play and sound better than me - admittedly they are well set-up - whilst not as indestructible as the old Mahalos they’re not fragile and whatever happens to them isn’t going to matter that much (replacements are available and affordable). Sopranos take up little space, I find that helpful and sometimes virtually essential.

As someone on Cosmos once said: “Ukuleles are so cheap that there’s no reason not to play a good one”. Though cheap is subjective he’s not wrong and, regardless of destination but in a hard case, he takes whatever he wants to play from his large collection of valuable instruments. I don‘t quite follow his example, its a bit too bold and counterintuitive for me, but his words did set me thinking. Ukes are relatively cheap so play whatever you’ll enjoy, can protect and wouldn’t be upset about loosing.

it can be damaged, lost or given away I won't really care too much.

That’s the guide to go by. The price tag or height of the bar is different for each of us.

Last edited:
Thule makes great bags, a little spendy tho. Have carried that outdoor strapped on a couple of times like that already, no problems... pretty bomb-proof, but if not, I'm not too concerned (got used, for that purpose).

Here's my Klos Tenor hybrid in the redwood forest.

I started playing on a $35.00 laminate. That lasted about 2 months and I was loving it (and shopping). The day I was going to order the Klos, a friend told me not to because it was out for delivery! She had purchased it for me. Wow.

Anyway, I've never had a wood ukulele except that early cheapy, so I'm still shopping. I guess I really need to save some money. I ordered a Mr mai and it's been shipped, but my goal is to aquire something totally sweet by the end of the year.

As for vacation, I live in northern Minnesota, I'm in my mid sixties, and have special needs cat and dog. My vacation is hiking the quiet trails, birdwatching, uke breaks, and kayaking right near home. Although when the Klos was new, I did spend 8 months on the road with a camper and a cat and we later came home with a dog from a kill shelter in California. No wonder I don't have uke money!

Thanks for the entertaining thread!

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_173845085~2.jpg
    IMG_20191001_173845085~2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom