SOTU 589 - Wedding Bells

I realise I'm stretching "one song per day", but it has gone Monday here and I see I'm not the first to post a second song, but most importantly, I just couldn't resist posting my attempt at this beautiful song by our friend Jon Duncan (mountain goat) any longer... I promise to slow down now!

Thanks Jon, and I hope you don't mind what I did to it!

For anyone looking for “old” songs Roger McGuinn’s Folk Den is a good website. Yes it’s the Byrds bloke. He’s a keen collector of old songs..he does mp3, lyrics and sometime chords. He has songs in categories like” sea shanties” etc. Worth a look. Sorry I’m on iPad so I’m not so good at linking..it’s easy to find.

The highway nearest to me is called the Western Freeway. Every time I get on it, Allan Sherman's songlet "Get On the Garden Freeway" begins playing in my head. So yesterday driving home from dropping off Rebekah from our Woodfordia weekend, I wrote my own version, "Get On the Western Freeway", containing actual accurate directions from said Freeway toward my home.

On that same short drive, it also dawned on me that "Get On the Garden Freeway" is already a parody of "Give My Regards to Broadway", making my song a parody song featuring a thoroughfare of a parody song featuring a thoroughfare of an original song featuring a thoroughfare.

Also, as it happens, George M Cohan wrote "Give My Regards to Broadway" for a 1904 musical, making this my second video of "something new" based on "something old". It's a super short song, so I've included all three versions for fun and, you know, history. 😁

Hey, Amanda!

I hope you're enjoying your hosting debut! Many thanks for taking the plunge and coming up with a great theme!

Something old...

The bank holiday over here in the UK has presented me with a small window of opportunity so here's a quiet rendition (everyone was still in bed...) of an old English folk song popularised by Shirley Collins in the late 50s.

Cheers!

I usually fillm my entries right before the Season ends. Whilst I was recording my 588 song, I realised it also fits 589 on the overlapping Sunday. So, here's an original from me, about a magical and very special experience you might have on your Australian honeymoon: Snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef.
I should still be good to submit an old one at the other end of this week. Thanks for hosting, Amanda!

This is lovely. What scale/brand ukulele are you playing, if you don't mind my asking -- really amazing tone...
cheers - it is a hand made tenor uke made by doug frink (a seasonista from california)- the top is made from a piece of huon pine (from tasmania) - i sent him the piece of wood - he gifted me the ukulele

Hey, Amanda!

I hope you're enjoying your hosting debut! Many thanks for taking the plunge and coming up with a great theme!

Something old...

The bank holiday over here in the UK has presented me with a small window of opportunity so here's a quiet rendition (everyone was still in bed...) of an old English folk song popularised by Shirley Collins in the late 50s.

Cheers!

The Creggan white hare for you listening pleasure

Here's something blue. The second verse:

I see skies of blue
And clouds of white
The bright blessed day
The dark sacred night
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

Thanks.

This is probably most well known from the Paul Mauriat hit instrumental. But it was originally Luxembourg's Eurovision entry in 1967. Some noisy birds in the background...maybe they were bluebirds. Also some added garageband.

Autumn is the season of mellow fruitfulness, but it is also the time when things die. When a relationship ends there is always some good fruit that remains... but there are also things that can never be returned to because they have died.

Thanks for hosting Amanda. It's always a bit of a special week when we get a new host.

A bit of background on this song, which probably dates from the music halls of the mid 1800s. Pomona Gardens was a mile or so from the centre of Manchester. As well as orchards & gardens, there was an elegant ballroom and a banqueting venue from the 1850s. The sort of place where the well-to-do of Manchester went to be seen. Hence the wish of the lady in this song to go there. (Sadly, it became surrounded by factories, one of which exploded in 1872, destroying the Pomona buildings. The site ended up as part of Salford docks.)

Top Bottom