New Uke Day (NUD) Regal Baritone

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I took a ride into town today and stopped at the local music store to put a couple things on consignment. As they were doing paperwork I perused the wares and came across this gem. It's a Regal baritone ukulele with no model name/number that I could find. I need to dig deeper inside with a camera and see if I can find any markings. The top is 2-piece solid spruce, the sides are solid mahogany, the back is 1-piece solid mahogany, the neck is 1-piece solid mahogany, the fretboard and bridge appear to be Brazilian rosewood, the nut/saddle are bone, the rosette is inlaid, not a sticker, the faceplate is 3-ply with Regal engraved into it, 3-ply top binding, single ply binding on the back, the finish is thin nitrocellulose lacquer with finish checking on the body, and everything seems to be original including the friction tuners that work great.

The uke was a bit dirty so I gave it a light cleaning. The fretboard was very dry but is looking and feeling much better after an oiling. I haven't changed the strings yet but have some on the way that I'll swap when they get here. I'll do a deeper cleaning at that point. I can't believe how well this thing plays, the action is low and comfortable with no buzzing anywhere. The tone is really balanced and sweet. I'm so amazed with this uke, I wasn't expecting it to be so nice when I picked it up. Regal ukes may not be high up on collector's lists, but man what a player. I was guessing it's from the 50's but based on what I've read, may be earlier. Post WWII Regals were plywood from what I've come up with, with a couple models with the solid spruce/mahogany build being dated from the 30's. I have no idea where this uke falls into the timeline so if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Time to post some pics and get back to playing this thing.

thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:
That is gorgeous! Looks like a great find.

Wow! What a gem!! It looks great. I bet it is a canon. Friction tuners? And is there a 9th or 10th dot? Some vintage Bari's have the dot on the 9th fret (argh!). Tis a keeper! Congratulations!

Wow! What a gem!! It looks great. I bet it is a canon. Friction tuners? And is there a 9th or 10th dot? Some vintage Bari's have the dot on the 9th fret (argh!). Tis a keeper! Congratulations!
Thanks, I'm loving it. There are single dots at the 3rd, 7th, 12th, and 15th frets and double dots at the 5th and 10th frets. There are no side markers.

I just measured the scale length and it's 19.25". The intonation is very good, spot on at the 12th fret for the D/G/B strings, just a hair flat on the A. I'll wait to see how it is with new strings. I could always shape a new compensated saddle for it.

I used to own a very similar "Airline" branded baritone. I understand they were made in the 60's--

Thanks for the info, that's great to know. I just checked out your old sale thread for the Airline. Yours was in better condition than mine, that would be a nice one to own. I don't know how you parted with it, this thing plays and sounds so good. I've been immersed in it all evening.

I think I may have bought counsel's Airline. In any case, whether I was the lucky recipient of that particular uke, I bought a GREAT one, and I can attest that, regardless of the badge name, these Regal-made ukes are awesome. A step above the Harmony baritones of that era, and I love mine! Congrats, Kevin!

I think I may have bought counsel's Airline. In any case, whether I was the lucky recipient of that particular uke, I bought a GREAT one, and I can attest that, regardless of the badge name, these Regal-made ukes are awesome. A step above the Harmony baritones of that era, and I love mine! Congrats, Kevin!
Glad to hear you're still getting along good with yours. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but this thing is awesome. I was recently drawn to the baritone and am so glad I was. When I found this I was actively looking for a Martin Style 51. I found one on Gryphon Strings site over the New Year's weekend and was waiting until Tuesday to call with a couple questions and to order it. It sold Monday night through an online sale. I started looking for another, but after getting the Regal yesterday, I'm in no hurry now.

I hear you! I've owned a Martin Style 51 in mint condition, and I chose to sell it rather than sell my Favilla B2. I have no regrets that I made that decision. I think you've got a much more unique uke with your Regal. You don't run across these gems very often. They are keepers!

Glad you were in the right place at the right time Kevin. Congratulations on a diamond in the rough find along with a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Chicago built...all solid wood. They have a large body for a baritone...deeper than most. I get confused sometimes...Airline sold by Sears...Regal by Montgomery Ward? I could be wrong. Don't buy a hard case without trying it. Many are too shallow.
shine up the frets and gold tuners look great on them...IMHO

Congratulations! That looks wonderful! So glad you found it! Or, that it found you!🙂

Top Bottom