Strap for Waterman

You could do the UkeLeash or Hug Strap if you don’t want to use strap buttons.

You could install strap buttons like an Outdoor Ukulele; you would drill a hole, then use a bolt with a washer and lock nut on the back side (instead of a standard screw) You would have to experiment to find a flexible socket that bend to allow you to hold the lock nut in place. But that might be frustrating to no end as well.

For a lower bout strap button, I recommend that you find an extruded plastic golf tee in a color that matches your Waterman. Use a small handsaw to cut off all except the top 1/2” and super-glue the narrow (cut) end to your uke.

Then, use a bootlace as a strap. Tie one end in a 1” loop to fit over the golf tee strap button (each time you play the uke) and loop the other end to remain permanently in place around the headstock, just past the C and E tuner posts and under the G and A strings.

Many folk (myself included) tend to loop the headstock end just past the nut and under all 4 strings but the bootlace strap will get in the way of your fretting hand thumb for 1st position chords.

Last edited:
Looks like Hug Strap closed down at the end of last year. I’ll probably try the UkeLeash first.

I’m afraid to alter anything on my uke myself. I’m not handy at all lol

Is there any strap out there that works with a Waterman?

I’ve no experience of Kala / Makala Waterman Ukes but I do have experience of plastic bodied Makala Dolphin Ukes to which I have managed to add an internally loose ‘anchored’ lace that attaches to a strap. A search might throw up details of what I did but it ain’t rocket science. Just add a small hole where the lower boute strap button would be and then work from there.

If you have very limited craft skills then you might (instead) tie one end of a cord around the uke‘s waist and the other end of it around the headstock - a better than nothing solution.

Last edited:
I just found out that The Hug Strap company is no longer. I have a strap very similar to one made by "Zellerware" available on Etsy on my Waterman. Same principle as the Hug. I was reluctant to use one with a hook in the sound hole. It works OK. You may want to check those out.

I ended up finding someone online who used a mini 3M Command Hook as a button. It works well because I have a clear transparent Waterman and I used a clear hook. I can use the strap I already have now.
A friend of mine has been using Command Hooks on her cheap plastic ukulele for years. It works most of the time, but the adhesive can melt in hot weather or dry up over time, then the strap can come off all of a sudden. Since she mostly plays sitting down, the ukulele just falls into her lap and she has to remember how to play without the strap for the rest of the session. If you regularly play standing up or have a more expensive ukulele, this could be a bigger problem.

A friend of mine has been using Command Hooks on her cheap plastic ukulele for years. It works most of the time, but the adhesive can melt in hot weather or dry up over time, then the strap can come off all of a sudden. Since she mostly plays sitting down, the ukulele just falls into her lap and she has to remember how to play without the strap for the rest of the session. If you regularly play standing up or have a more expensive ukulele, this could be a bigger problem.
Good to know!!!

Top Bottom