Issue with baby bari string?

Sallybee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have heard such amazing things about the Pepe strings from Strings by Mail..we put them on my concert last night and the e string instantly popped when we weren’t even close. I spoke to them and they think it was a defective string.. anybody else had this issue.. they are sending a replacement. I ended up putting the old string on and just tuning to the e matching against my bari but it isn’t a wound string like I would like. a\Any t thoughts or suggestions?

Post the information on the strings package please? I use the same strings, only for a tenor, no breakage.
~Bob

I was under the impression that those strings were designed for tenor ukuleles. I'm not surprised there were issues on a concert.

I've placed them on concerts with no issue. I would strings by mail's diagnosis. I prefer them on tenors but they sounded fine on bye my vita uke and RC stc.

Did you have to widen the slots on any of the strings. Somebody online had to widen slots 2 and 4.
No I didn't and I would be very hesitant to do so as I like to experiment with strings . . . I would not want to make a change that was permanent.

I found the strings worked well as they were. I don't have either concert today strung with them. They worked fined . . . intonation was good on both instruments. And the "touch" was fine on both. Because of the bigger body of the STC, they sounded better on it. But they sound better on my KoAloha KTM (tenor). That's where they are today (of course, everything sounds better on the KTM).

I've sold the Romero STC, and the Ohana Vita Concert is strung as a high g. I think the Baby Bari strings are remarkable. They provide a fun and unique playing experience - which are two of the reasons I love playing! I just prefer the sound and feel of a full sized bari. I'm a Bari-nut these days. I probably will sell the KoAloha sometime in the future for that reason.

Hope this helps......

The specs show these as really thick, but would they not be more slack and lumpy on shorter concert scale. Would be nice to have them with high D for tenor.

No I didn't and I would be very hesitant to do so as I like to experiment with strings . . . I would not want to make a change that was permanent.

I found the strings worked well as they were. I don't have either concert today strung with them. They worked fined . . . intonation was good on both instruments. And the "touch" was fine on both. Because of the bigger body of the STC, they sounded better on it. But they sound better on my KoAloha KTM (tenor). That's where they are today (of course, everything sounds better on the KTM).

I've sold the Romero STC, and the Ohana Vita Concert is strung as a high g. I think the Baby Bari strings are remarkable. They provide a fun and unique playing experience - which are two of the reasons I love playing! I just prefer the sound and feel of a full sized bari. I'm a Bari-nut these days. I probably will sell the KoAloha sometime in the future for that reason.

Hope this helps......
Thank you! I have a Silvertone Bari and A Favilla Bari but this is my beach uke because I don’t want to schlep those to the beach while hubby fishes. I much prefer the bari sound but don’t have the ability to buy a Romero.

Top Bottom