Aqilla Red string, very nice!

maki66

Reaction score
So I restrung my beloved Fluke Concert with Aqilla Reds, low g.

And just like my baritone, this uke just loves them.

Very lovely tones, nice volume and great feel.

I usually favor higher end flouro carbons, Living Waters or, now Koalohas, but these strings really rock my world.

So I restrung my beloved Fluke Concert with Aqilla Reds, low g.

And just like my baritone, this uke just loves them.

Very lovely tones, nice volume and great feel.

I usually favor higher end flouro carbons, Living Waters or, now Koalohas, but these strings really rock my world.

Your post had exquisite timing. I have a post on Low G strings here. I have a Little Gem banjouke and was looking for some Low Gs. I came upon the Reds and it appears they seem to be good strings.

Just a question for you...did you always have your Fluke set to Low G or is this a new setup for you. Does this cause your playing ear to adjust easily or did it take some work.

I like reds and found them to be great on my Fluke. I have sharp edges on tuner hole on one post and that causes me issues with breakage. Mimmo did a great job with new formula. Wish more shops carried reds. I have to try a set in Low G which I just discovered.
On my other all wood ukes. I’m digging low g as an addition to my high g playing. I think I will give red in low g a try. I have poly keyboard on Fluke so don’t really want to damage the fretboard with silver wound strings.

I like reds and found them to be great on my Fluke. I have sharp edges on tuner hole on one post and that causes me issues with breakage. Mimmo did a great job with new formula. Wish more shops carried reds. I have to try a set in Low G which I just discovered.
On my other all wood ukes. I’m digging low g as an addition to my high g playing. I think I will give red in low g a try. I have poly keyboard on Fluke so don’t really want to damage the fretboard with silver wound strings.

I wouldn't use any wound string on a poly fretboard. Fortunately my Fluke's fretboard is wood.

This is my second set of low gs on the Fluke. I don't remember what brand was on before, but they were decent.
I don't have any issue with my ear, musically, going back and forth from high to low g. We are lucky to have multiple ukes at hand with various sizes, tunings, and formats. Soprano, concert, tenor, baritone, GDAE(soprano), CGDA(concert), low g, high g, DGBE(tenor and baritone), banjoleles, traditional, U-bass, and guitarleles.
Not to mention banjos, guitars, mandolins. Its embarrassing.
I still almost always pick up my Fluke concert or the bari though.

I do like Aqilla nyguts on my Gold Tone tenor banjolele, which are not usually my first choice.
I haven't tried reds on that, but maybe its time to swap them out too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom