NUBD: Kala solid spruce top fretless...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Actually got this last Friday? Saw it on ebay and for the price, just couldn't resist, so put my SUB up for sale and it went fast, so I made an offer and it was accepted! Love the fretless and the sound of the FS2. It's an older one from 2011, I believe, without the preamp, just like my EM. I think these early models without the preamp and battery and more to go wrong are the best Kala Ubasses, they sound better too. Got a set of Pahoehoes to install...:D

Took it to a jam Saturday and it worked great! It's a little weird to not have frets, but I didn't goof up too much...
IMG_20190520_132018043.jpg IMG_20190520_132100267.jpg IMG_20190520_132128089.jpg IMG_20190520_132205470.jpg pahoehoes.jpg

Nice find. I've been enjoying the fretless Cali more than the fretted SUB too

Put the Pahoehoes on...sound great, a lot easier to slide! :D
IMG_20190521_111552116.jpg

I prefer the feel of the Pahoehoe, even though they're difficult to install and take weeks to stretch.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

^^^ me too, and they sound great! I like the looks too, the tan Thunderguts just look funky to me.

A week after installing the Pahoehoes, I unwound and rewound the strings. The E string was good, I got lucky with that one and got it close the 1st time. The rest were winding back upon themselves and the G string was wound up so high, it wouldn't stay in it's slot in the nut! I put a piece of painters tape on the string at the first fret, so that way I have a visual to get it close to in tune. After loosening and taking all the wraps off, I usually pull the tape back up to the 2nd fret and wind it on from there, but on A string, I pulled it back to within about a half fret and got about a wind and a half, the full fret was wound almost to the bottom and had no room to stretch. About a fret gives enough winds to hold on the D and G strings. Probably have to do this again an a couple weeks.
Before...IMG_20190527_092621244.jpg After...IMG_20190527_094828503.jpg IMG_20190527_092706721_HDR.jpg

Yep, that's the way I do it, a tape marker. I actually clamp down the uke so I can hold the strings better.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom