Inspiration...

S11LKO

Reaction score
I’ve been using my YouTube channel to store videos of myself singing and playing my ukes, guitars and keyboards for the last 5 years or so.

I get a few comments, mostly kind, but I am fully aware that I am FAR from a talented player or singer; like most of us here I just ‘do music’ because I enjoy it and it gives me pleasure.

However, today I received the below comment on my video of me playing my uke and singing the song ‘Tickle Me’.

If my humble attempts have inspired just this ONE person to get involved in this great hobby of ours, then I’m chuffed!

C8715667-9C3D-4AE2-8779-46039308B16C.jpg

Don't knock yourself John - your playing inspires ME mate! Your recent Tom Petty track made me want to up my game...a LOT, and I can't wait for your next one!!

Thanks for you response buddy!

That's fantastic. You've definitely touched someone's life.

I'm going to have to check out your YouTube channel. I'm sure you'll inspire me, too.

That's fantastic. You've definitely touched someone's life.

I'm going to have to check out your YouTube channel. I'm sure you'll inspire me, too.

It'd be great to have you visit ..but don't expect too much JU, most of it is pretty average, but everyone who makes noise inspires me whatever level of skill they may possess. I can learn something from every time I watch and listen to anybody.

It'd be great to have you visit ..but don't expect too much JU, most of it is pretty average, but everyone who makes noise inspires me whatever level of skill they may possess. I can learn something from every time I watch and listen to anybody.

I'm assuming that you're S11LKO on YouTube also?
Someone is, and he's having a great time playing, & definitely can inspire others. :)

Thanks Dave. Yes, inspiration is available here for sure. I get daily inspiration over on the Seasons, so many ideas and new songs I never would have thought of even trying!

When I started to learn to play uke, I joined in with the Seasons threads on here, & created a channel on youtube, I kept it just to 'us' at first, but decided I'd let others see how one person starting out progressed - I've done the same for learning harmonica. Sometimes I get a comment, sometimes not, but it seems that a lot of people have taken a look at them at one time or another, hopefully one or two have been encouraged to have a go themselves. :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. As I say, ANYONE who attempts to make music is an inspiration to me.

I love doing what I do, and I have no real fear of 'putting myself out there' as Luke puts it. I KNOW I'm not 'the best in the world' (far, far from it! lol) so accept the fact that not everyone who listens to me will enjoy the noise I produce. I'm lucky to have received some nice and supporting comments (many from you great guys 'n' girls here on the UU site) but I've had my detractors - mostly from people who don't/can't sing or play anything themselves.

I think my only advice to anyone new to playing is to just ignore anyone who says you're rubbish. Unless you're trying to conquer the world and become a multi-millionaire superstar, it doesn't really matter what other people think - although it IS of course ALWAYS nice to receive a kind and positive response to anything we do. The most important and ONLY real thing is that WE ourselves enjoy what we do. To me, it's a sort of therapy; the time I have a ukulele, guitar or piano in my hands is a time when I'm temporarily removed from the pressures and realities of the real world for a while.

Anyway, philosophical S11LKO put to bed now (lol), I am grateful to Joyful Uke for drawing my attention to the fact that for some reason I have TWO YouTube accounts; one under the name of S11LKO with only two videos in it, and my main one under my real name of David Silk. I haven't a clue how THAT happened. I will drag the two rogue videos into my main account and delete the S11LKO account as soon as YouTube (which seems to be having log-in problems this morning) lets me.

My main YouTube rubbish is therefore here if anyone is silly enough to want to take a peek...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1...?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0&view_as=subscriber

Last edited:
Top Bottom