Clean moveable chords

captain-janeway

Reaction score
I have a song I've been practicing a lot that bounces between Bb and Eb. Standard E or An is difficult for me (yes I know everyone) as my index finger curves a bit. I've been using like 333x to sub for Eb. It of course doesn't sound as nice as 3331. I mostly finger pick so I notice it more.

I see you can use a Barre at 6th fret and 0300at 7th for a Eb. That would allow a moveable shape back up to Bb.

Anyone have a good way to learn to bounce between moveable chords spaced that far that won't have your finger dragging on your wound low G and buzzing. Yes I know the answer is always practice practice, practice but anyone have any tips? The closer moveable chords are easier since you can usually brace on the base on the neck with a thumb. Bouncing between first and sixth frets makes me actually have to move the whole hand.

Note to self never break another finger so it doesn't align perfectly straight for standard fingering lol.

Other than that does anyone have a good idea of a substitute chord for an Eb? Substitute chord, not fingering. I didn't find a sub that really worked well jumping back to Bb.

The only chords in the tune are Bb Eb and F. It's Waltz Across Texas Tonight--Emmylou Harris (not Waltz Across Texas).

Thanks

There's always the Bb at 7565 and the Eb at 8766. They are close to each other and sound better than sliding way up and way down. There is the Eb at 3337 as well, which works with either the 3211 Bb or the 7565. But keep on practicing that 3331 Eb chord, don't let the chords push you around. Master them. Practice practice practice....slowly and cleanly. A good way to learn to shift is to keep that index barred across the strings and slide up to the next inversion - slowly at first - back and forth. For example play the Bb @ 3211 then slide the barre up to the 5th fret and you keep your fingers in the same place except your ring finger which moves up to the 2nd string as you slide to 7565. Keep doing that over and over until it is smooth and clear. Add in the Bb at the 8th-10th fret by keeping your index finger barred and just lay your ring finger on top of the 4th 3rd and 2nd strings at the 10th fret with your index barred at the 8th fret even though you don't need to hold all those notes, it will be easier for making the switch. Then try it with other chords, starting from different shapes. Eventually you will want to learn groupings of 1,4 and 5 chords all in closed chord shapes. But get the motor memory of shifting between shapes down first. Good luck.

Somehow I missed the Barre 5 76. Thanks! That just goes between two frets.
Ill keep working in the standard form. Wish I could get one of the shapes that would allow me to cover two strings on 3.my little fingers fall between strings if I try. Other option is learning to use my index finger first knuckle to avoid the bend in the tip lol.

What about transposing? You're dealing with a I-IV-V progression in Bb. I personally would move everything a tritone away and do it in E, but you could change it to anything else. I remember from watching The Blues Brothers that A is the key for country music. Maybe switch the chords to the key of A?

What about transposing? You're dealing with a I-IV-V progression in Bb. I personally would move everything a tritone away and do it in E, but you could change it to anything else. I remember from watching The Blues Brothers that A is the key for country music. Maybe switch the chords to the key of A?

I've transposed into several keys. A lot Bb works better with my voice, and in A you deal with the dreaded E chord that I haven't mastered yet (I'm working on it but the best I'm getting so far is 444x which isn't anywhere near as nice as 4442). Putting it into C would be easier to play but not to sing.

Anyone have a good way to learn to bounce between moveable chords spaced that far that won't have your finger dragging on your wound low G and buzzing. s

Enjoy a full and rich sound with no buzzing using a Fremont " SOLOIST " Squeakless Polished Wound Low G single string. You can find these on eBay for $4USD and they are long enough to get two strings out of them. I love these strings and NO squeak or buzz when sliding on them.

Enjoy a full and rich sound with no buzzing using a Fremont " SOLOIST " Squeakless Polished Wound Low G single string. You can find these on eBay for $4USD and they are long enough to get two strings out of them. I love these strings and NO squeak or buzz when sliding on them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Picked up an unwound set but haven't put them on yet. Have you tried them?

Last edited:
Eb is barre 3rd and pinky on 6th of A string, so 3336. Slide shape up to F on 5th fret so 5558. Then choose what Bb works for you.

Eb can also be played 0331, which should be fairly easy to reach from a 3211 Bb.

Eb can also be played 0331, which should be fairly easy to reach from a 3211 Bb.

Thanks. The problem with that one is that the open low G gives a huge thud at the start of the chord. It's a little better as x331

I suggest that you keep working on your triads as they can be very useful. In the guitar world triads are a thing even though they have 6 strings to play with.
What I do sometimes to make chord changes quicker, is that I first go to a triad that's easy to grab and then pick up the last note a beat or two later.

Sometimes I mix up 4 string chords with triads as it suits.

Top Bottom