Got a Tenor!

jnicholes

Reaction score
Well, as the title says, I got a Tenor ukulele. I found one On the internet, and I was able to order it. It has great reviews and it seems like a good deal.

It will be here on Friday.

1 step closer to my goal. My goal is to have all four types of ukulele. Soprano, Concert, Tenor, and Baritone. I have them all now except for the Baritone.

After I get all four, I'm going to make an acapella video of a song involving all four of them.

A ukulele barbershop quartet, in a way.

I'll post a video when it gets here.

Jared

Instead of quartet, I picture you more as a choir kind of guy. To my mind, that means at least ten voices. Here's what you need

1-4, you already have that covered
5. a ukulele bass
6. a linear tenor
7. an open C linear tenor
8. an opan A linear tenor
9. an open D linear tenor
10. an open E linear tenor

for ukuleles seven through ten you could use a re-entrant tuning, but why? The G and the A strings would be identical and redundant. With linear at least the two would be an octave apart.

Looking forward to it Jared.

Wheres the sopranissimo/sopranino?? :)

Yes two more small sizes, sopranino and the smallest sopranissimo. Then there are 5 string tenors and 6 string tenors and 8 string tenors.

Oh........... and then the long neck versions of soprano, concert and tenor. This could get expensive but congratulations on your collection so far:)

And then you can go down to even smaller, google eko microlele...after playing one of these for half an hour a standard size sop feels as big as a baritone lol

Well, you learn something new everyday.

anyway, my goal was only to get a concert, a soprano, a tenor, and a baritone.

If it gets too expensive, I'll probably stick with just that.

No one mentioned a banjolele. (Beware, we're all enablers.)

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

OK, this is getting overwhelming.

I think I'll just stick to my original plan. All I need for that now is a Baritone.

Jared

But wait! You need one of these:

Actually I have never seen one before and it is fascinating.

I stopped at the Tenor but then I heard a Tiple, so.....

Got the new tenor in the mail today. It sounds really good. If you want to hear it in action, take a look at my new thread.

Okay, what the heck is that?

Hurdy-gurdy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy-gurdy#:~:text=The hurdy-gurdy is a,to those of a violin.

I have seen and heard them play many time......try one hooked up to a pick up with some sampling, looping, pedals and amplified of course.

I have not heard one play on the same stage with an ukulele.......

Would sure be an interesting mix....

I'm sure there are musicians out there who could make it happen..

I rather like the sound of the Hurdy-gurdy....

Here is just the sound sample from the above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HurdySample.ogg

Also, it looks like Christies has/had for sale for about $1000 the hurdy-gurdy that Spencer Tracy pretended to play in Captains Courageous, "... now in a major state of disrepair ..." I assume the quote means it's junk to most people and a movie collectable to others.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

I haven't thought about this song for years.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

By Donovan P. Leitch

Thrown like a star in my vast sleep
I opened my eyes to take a peek
To find that I was by the sea
Gazing with tranquility

'Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Came singing songs of love
Then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Came singing songs of love

"Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy gurdy" he sang

Histories of ages past
Unenlightened shadows cast
Down through all eternity
The crying of humanity

'Tis then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Comes singing songs of love
Then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Comes singing songs of love

"Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurd
Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy gurdy" he sang

Here comes the Roly Poly Man
He's singing songs of love
"Roly poly, roly poly, holy poly poly" he sang

There is a great deal of complexity to the construction of a hurdy-gurdy, and the sound is quite unique (and often seems rather strange to untutored ears). The instrument is an integral part of traditional French music commonly found in Quebec (Canada). Some of my all-time favorite bands feature excellent hurdy-gurdy players. If you’re curious, check out the music of La Bottine Souriante or Le Vent du Nord.

Jan

Top Bottom