Very Simple Uke to build

granger

Reaction score
I just finished a project that might be a good starter project for first time builders due to it's simplicity. I built it as the ultimate travel uke for a month long island hopping adventure I am planning in April in the British Virgin Islands for snorkling and bonefishing. I wanted a Uke with a quick bolt on neck that could be taken down and the whole thing shoved into a small back pack. I made a sketch and used scrap, left over material and a salvaged neck from the reject pile and some old tuners off a beater Lanakai. This is what emerged:

DSCF3292.jpgDSCF3293.jpgDSCF3294.jpg

The instrument does not require any heat bending, it has a simple bolt on neck, (see here for a great how to: http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarThreeString.html )

The sides and back are made of .125 baltic birch plywood so no thinning was required. There are no braces on the back. The top only has two braces in an A frame shape, tapered from 3/8 inch high under the bridge to nothing at the edge. The top was .125 Adirondack Spruce with a .015 relief route just inside the kerfing and then the 2" around the edge was sanded so that the edge was .080. With only a side sound port the whole top is active. 20.125 inch scale, 8 inch bout. The thing sounds very sweet, I am very surprised at the sound!!

Nice simple design. looks like lots of area for custom decals or artwork

Top Bottom