Where to go next with my playing?

jonners98

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm an experienced uke player, but most of my expertise comes from the world of other instruments - I am a seasoned bass player, folk guitarist and keyboardist, so have a lot of transferred knowledge. During my time playing uke I have covered a lot of areas, and as well as being confident in theory knowledge relating to the uke I am also competent with fingerpicking, lead lines, and more complex strumming techniques such as the split stroke or the triple.

I would really appreciate some advice on where I can turn next to help to develop my playing, if anyone had some suggestions? Any recommendations of books or resources or areas to look at would be great. I'm really not fussy about what style of playing it involves, whether that be solo stuff, lead stuff or chordal things - I just wanna improve with some uke-specific things!

Thanks in advance!

Have you done much transcription of 'ukulele performances you really enjoy? That might help guide you in a specific direction or reveal a technique you want to master.

Have you done much transcription of 'ukulele performances you really enjoy? That might help guide you in a specific direction or reveal a technique you want to master.

Hi :) Yeah, I'm quite an active transcriber, not only in the realm of ukulele but other musical areas (especially vocal and choral music). Sadly it doesn't seem to lead to any playing inspiration for me - my transcriptions are almost always purely practical (for the sake of a lesson i'm tutoring or for me to learn a piece for a gig) - right now I'm not sure which music to even turn to in order to develop my playing in the first place.

What sorts of music do you most enjoy?

Now that's a big question for me, haha! I'm someone with a very eclectic taste, and I go through listening and playing 'phases' like many multi-instrumentalists do. When narrowed to the uke I really enjoy the intricate stuff that Jake Shimabukuro does, but I'm also a huge fan of folk music. My plan for the uke is to gig more when I can, not only accompanying singing but using loopers and effects pedals to layer techniques, very much like Shimabukuro too I guess.

I'd also recommend that you check out "Ukulele Aerobics", perhaps try your hand at some of Jake Shimabukuro's arrangements (most of them aren't terribly difficult although playing them as smoothly as Jake will take a while)...if you're up for a challenge, try your hand at some of Byron Yasui's stuff.

EDIT: Also check out Benny Chong if you want a challenge.

Last edited:
The first thing is to get out of your house and start working with other people in some way. Not performing for them, working with them.

Could you expand on that in some way please? While, s you'd understand, i'm trapped in at the moment, I am an active ensemble musician, I play and sing witb a range of groups, and I'm also a music tutor and collaborative arranger.

I don't currently play in a uke group at all, so if thatd be beneficial I'd love to explore it. I'm just not sure as to what exactly your comment was pointing to?

I'd also recommend that you check out "Ukulele Aerobics", perhaps try your hand at some of Jake Shimabukuro's arrangements (most of them aren't terribly difficult although playing them as smoothly as Jake will take a while)...if you're up for a challenge, try your hand at some of Byron Yasui's stuff.

Great, thanks for the advice! I've learnt a small amount of ukulele weeps, and tried my hand at Jake's Bo Rhap, but as you say it is one hell of a challenge to get things anywhere near as smooth as him.

I'll also check out those kalimba arrangements, something really different!!

I've learnt a small amount of ukulele weeps, and tried my hand at Jake's Bo Rhap, but as you say it is one hell of a challenge to get things anywhere near as smooth as him.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4qESxhuAI

It might be fun to learn some of the techniques that Jake begins to show off around 2:30 mark. Really slick stuff.

To me, ukulele's essence is in the right hand. Ukulele's strumming technique and pattern is what makes this instrument unique. Check out some stuffs from Jake, Kalei, Ryo Natoyama, Feng e, pay attention to their right hand. The combination of roll, index down up, thumb down up,also Kalei's two fingerstyle.

https://youtu.be/l9YLOlUa7ro watch 4:00 and 4:35
https://youtu.be/VMJiy3ORx28 watch 0:50

You can't find this kind of strumming pattern on any other instrument.

Last edited:
What I'm working on is doing better at expressing the music. (Not sure I phrased that well, so I guess I need to work on expressing my thoughts in words, too. LOL.)

As an example, there are probably a lot of people who can hit all these notes, but not pull you into the feeling of the song as well as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lhcN47_YY

Of course, YMMV. I think this is a beautiful version of the song, but others might have some other preference.

There seems to be a big shortage of in person teachers for intermediate players. Sure, they're all over the web, but I'd love to learn in person with a competent teacher. If you're good at demonstrating and helping players like me, why not try your hand at that?

You might also consider what I did. I put together a group of near-beginners and intermediate players/singers and rehearsed songs that kids like, and we were going to Shriner's Childrens hospital before COVID19 spread. We're going back when we can.

Also, if you love "different" and highly skilled playing, check out James Hill. I've met him, and am taking his online course. If there's anyone I could emulate, it would be him. Very nice, professional, polite and extremely talented.
Also, Led Kapaana, if you like Hawaiian slack key playing.

To me, ukulele's essence is in the right hand. Ukulele's strumming technique and pattern is what makes this instrument unique. Check out some stuffs from Jake, Kalei, Ryo Natoyama, Feng e, pay attention to their right hand. The combination of roll, index down up, thumb down up,also Kalei's two fingerstyle.

https://youtu.be/l9YLOlUa7ro watch 4:00 and 4:35
https://youtu.be/VMJiy3ORx28 watch 0:50

You can't find this kind of strumming pattern on any other instrument.

Thanks! I've experimented with some cool thumb and finger techniques, but getting the control up to a level for more intricate stuff is a definite future goal for me.

Playing in a group is always beneficial. Probably hard in the short term if you are stuck in lock down.

Working with other people will always open up new possibilities. Looking at your resume, you could start a uke group yourself in your area for all comers, no matter how good or bad they are. Find a venue and a song book. Just to start the ideas flowing, you could start out by making an arrangement with a local cafe to be able to come and occupy some space and play some tunes for an hour or so once a week at a regular time that suits the owner. Not as a performer, without an amp or microphone, just sitting in the cafe playing your ukulele using a common song book. The intention being to attract people who want to play, not an audience. With some spare seats for anyone who want to join in with their ukulele. Maybe a few spare low cost ukes for new players. Over time, people will start to show up regularly and you will have a group happening, which will help you grow your ukulele experience. This is just an idea to start discussion and thoughts on how to get a group started using your current skill and experience, and without promising to be a "teacher" or "guru".

Nice idea! I must say, it'd be great to play in a uke group of some kind, there's definitely an inherently 'communa;' aspect to the instrument that I should xplore more when I'm able to again!

What I'm working on is doing better at expressing the music. (Not sure I phrased that well, so I guess I need to work on expressing my thoughts in words, too. LOL.)

As an example, there are probably a lot of people who can hit all these notes, but not pull you into the feeling of the song as well as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lhcN47_YY

Of course, YMMV. I think this is a beautiful version of the song, but others might have some other preference.

Definitely, thanks! As i noted, I'm more experienced on other instruments, so while I have no trouble connecting my emotional output to the sound I make on my guitar or bass (or with my voice), the connection isn't as refined with the uke. May be cool to try and alter a simple arrangement in order to convey varied emotional messages and feeling.

There seems to be a big shortage of in person teachers for intermediate players. Sure, they're all over the web, but I'd love to learn in person with a competent teacher. If you're good at demonstrating and helping players like me, why not try your hand at that?

You might also consider what I did. I put together a group of near-beginners and intermediate players/singers and rehearsed songs that kids like, and we were going to Shriner's Childrens hospital before COVID19 spread. We're going back when we can.

Also, if you love "different" and highly skilled playing, check out James Hill. I've met him, and am taking his online course. If there's anyone I could emulate, it would be him. Very nice, professional, polite and extremely talented.
Also, Led Kapaana, if you like Hawaiian slack key playing.

Thanks! I am a music tutor at the moment, but most of the work about is either for pure beginners on the uke, or any more advanced students are wanting bass or guitar lessons. That's generally the theme in my area it seems, but I'd love to teach some slightly more advanced stuff on the uke too.

Love the idea of the group! I've considered charitable entertainment before (nursing homes, childrens homes etc) but of course all has been brought to a halt currently. Love the idea of a uke group for this too!

Oh, and last of all - I love James Hill! First seeing his Billie Jean blew my mind. The percussive and strange technique stuff isn't necessarily what I would want to play myself, but I can only stand in awe of his mastery of the instrument, and his non-experimental stuff (the stuff that is primarily straight playing) is incredible too!

Top Bottom