Lanikai vs Kala?

Do a search for this with the forum search function. There have been thousands of 'Lanikai vs Kala' threads its not funny.
Both are China brands and prone to inconsistency. However that being said, if you get lucky you will get a killer sounding and looking uke.

Both of these companies have really stepped up thier quality in the last couple of years. Competition in the uke market is a good thing as far as quality and price. Both Kala and Lanikai make excellent ukes at both entry level and for more serious players I currently own both, and enjoy them immensly. :cool:

Last edited:
I own a Lanikai 8 string Tenor and a Makala Dolphin (Makala being
a branch of Kala,as I assume you know?) and for the price both are
excellent.I had read mixed reviews of the Lanikai before I got mine
but it plays like a dream,and needed no set-up or tweaking when I
got it.(Aside from chucking away the wound C string and replacing
it with a plain Nylgut to match the rest!)

After sending a Makala Dolphin to my niece (she loves it), my sister now wants to get a uke for herself. She doesn't want a Dolphin because she'd prefer a "woody" style uke. She asked about the MK-S and I wondered if the Kala KA-15s would be better because of the mahogany lam versus agithus(sp?) lam. Also, does anyone with experience with the Lanakai LU-21 and/ or the Makala/Kala ukes have any input. It is nice that Kala comes with Aquilas standard and the strings would def. need upgrading on the Makala or Lanakai. She'd like to stay around $50, but I imagine a small bump up to the Kala wouldn't be out of the question if y'all think it's worth it. And before anyone suggests the dolphin, don't bother since I already tried....

What say anyone/ everyone?

I can strongly recommend the Makala ukes, I ( and several others I've talked to) think they sound better than the KA's. I have not played the MK-S but we have an MK-T and a couple of Dolphins. I also have a Lanikai LU-21C which is also a good uke for the money, but I don't think the Makala's can be beat for the price. Also I'm pretty sure they all come with Aquila's now.

Last edited:
After sending a Makala Dolphin to my niece (she loves it), my sister now wants to get a uke for herself. She doesn't want a Dolphin because she'd prefer a "woody" style uke. She asked about the MK-S and I wondered if the Kala KA-15s would be better because of the mahogany lam versus agithus(sp?) lam. Also, does anyone with experience with the Lanakai LU-21 and/ or the Makala/Kala ukes have any input. It is nice that Kala comes with Aquilas standard and the strings would def. need upgrading on the Makala or Lanakai. She'd like to stay around $50, but I imagine a small bump up to the Kala wouldn't be out of the question if y'all think it's worth it. And before anyone suggests the dolphin, don't bother since I already tried....

What say anyone/ everyone?

If you are looking for a Makala.....see MGM. I got my Makala Concert from MGM and he put on aquila strings and set it up for $60. It looks great and plays great. A great buy in that price range.

I'd go with a Kala. I have a Lanikai LU22CGC and I guess it's alright. Not really good for picking but its great with chords.

I have the Kala KA-15s, It was a great starter, but I outgrew it pretty quickly. I have heard many people say they prefer the Makala over the low end Kalas.

Yes, do not over look the Makalas (from MGM) Come set up with aquila strings and action is adjusted! Great uke for the money!

a vendor told me what i suspected before i made a final choice on my first uke purchase: lanikai and kala ukes are made in the same factory in china.

how right he was i don't know. but when i narrowed it down to two final models by lanikai and kala, every picture i saw showed that the two were identical save the headstock and bridge which some worker can just attach last minute before the silk-screening of the logos & inside stickers.

quality control with both is generally good, but you will always get a crummy one from time to time.

i went with the lanikai spruce top tenor. right out of the box, i've enjoyed it.

i'd say play them in a store & go with the one that has the better value. by that i mean $200 with one will get you a uke, case, free set-up, and chord book. the other will get you all that for $200 and a digital clip-on tuner. i'd go with that last one!

good luck on your quest!

:shaka:

Mgm?

If you are looking for a Makala.....see MGM. I got my Makala Concert from MGM and he put on aquila strings and set it up for $60. It looks great and plays great. A great buy in that price range.

Howdy, I was just wondering who MGM is? I'd be interested in ordering a uke from him...
Thanks!

Top Bottom