Martin Konter Informational Thread

Ragtop232

Reaction score
There's been a number of questions about the new Martin Konter replica ukulele. I thought I'd start a thread specifically pertaining to this uke from an owners perspective. We can show close up photos of our Konter ukes and answer questions. I'll start with a few photos of my Konter. I ordered mine as a custom by requesting the PegHed tuners on the G and A string be installed to old way (thread from inside and wind toward the outside of the headstock.) I took delivery on 3/2019.

DSCF0829.jpg

DSCF0830.jpg

DSCF0824.jpg

DSCF0823.jpg

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0824.jpg
    DSCF0824.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
Did you change the strings? I notice the G and A strings are wound to the inside of the pegs, rather than the outside. Does yours have a wonderful smell?

Jerry, I ordered mine custom with the PegHed's installed the old way. Also, yes, it has that classic Martin smell. That part CAN'T be replicated. :)

Jim

Do these instruments have the new Martin premium strings? I have not seen much mention of them on the forums or other places. I would be interested in hearing what people think. I have used them on a couple of instruments and have favorable impressions.

EDW, yes, mine came with the new Martin M605 Premium strings and I believe on Martin's site these are the strings spec'ed for the Konter.

Jim

I am partial to my Konter. Martin did everything right with this ukulele. It's light as a feather, built like the vintage style 1's and just has a resonance and feel that make it stand apart from the rest. As you can tell, it's among my favorite Martins. I too have the hardcover book to go along with my Konter. I've had mine about 6 months. Here's a couple pictures.

Konter-2.jpg

konter-1.jpg

Jim

Jerry, it's reminiscent of old Martin Guitars that were built with hide glue. But, it also has to do with the Koa I believe because some of my 3K's smell the same way but not quite a strong.

Jim

Last edited:
Jerry, it's reminiscent of old Martin Guitars that were built with hide glue. But, it also has to do with the Koa I believe because some of my 3K's smell the same way but not quite a strong.

Jim

I have a Martin C1K, and several Hawaiian koa ukes, and they all have virtually no smell. I wish I could post the smell online. It's delicious!

I have a Martin C1K, and several Hawaiian koa ukes, and they all have virtually no smell. I wish I could post the smell online. It's delicious!

We are counting on you to find a way. In the meantime you have piqued my interest. I must fins a Konter to smell. Would it be odd if, after locating one and bothering the sales staff to bring it down, I just stuck my nose in it?

We are counting on you to find a way. In the meantime you have piqued my interest. I must fins a Konter to smell. Would it be odd if, after locating one and bothering the sales staff to bring it down, I just stuck my nose in it?

That would be funny.

I've been wondering how the original signatures were applied . Did they use a mechanical lead pencil , press down hard and then go over it again ?
Does anyone know for sure ?

I don't know for sure, but have given it some thought. At the time all ink pens had the regular split knib. These devices were still in use when I was a youth, and I don't reckon they would be suitable for writing on a wooden surface. I also remember that it was quite usual, back in the day, to use a type of pencil called an "indelible" pencil. These have a permanent dye mixed in with the graphite, that is activated by contact with water. People would lick the end of the pencil and this resulted in a clear and long lasting mark.

It seems likely that most of the original signatures were in indelible pencil, though I can't imagine Calvin Coolidge licking a pencil. Perhaps being President allowed him to delegate the licking to a lowly minion.

John Colter.

I've been wondering how the original signatures were applied . Did they use a mechanical lead pencil , press down hard and then go over it again ?
Does anyone know for sure ?

Pete, according to the book, Konter bought two of these 1926 1K ukuleles in NY just before his expedition. After his pilots untimely death in 1928, he gave one of these to his pilots family, but only after scraping the finish off and signing it. This is also the way he prepared his 1926 1K for the "inked" signatures. He scraped all the factory finish off the ukulele in preparation so the inked signatures would be legible. (reference book: "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed: pages 113-117."

Jim

Pete, according to the book, Konter bought two of these 1926 1K ukuleles in NY just before his expedition. After his pilots untimely death in 1928, he gave one of these to his pilots family, but only after scraping the finish off and signing it. This is also the way he prepared his 1926 1K for the "inked" signatures. He scraped all the factory finish off the ukulele in preparation so the inked signatures would be legible. (reference book: "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed: pages 113-117."

Jim

Now it all makes sense . Thank You.

Yes, that does make sense, but I still find it hard to imagine signing on bare wood with an old fashioned split nib. I used to have enough trouble using them on paper!

Perhaps it's just me.

John Colter.

"I still don't get the appeal of Konter.."

I do, but if you don't get it, I can't explain.

John Colter.

Give it a try and let us know, since I was thinking I'd like to go sniff one somewhere, too. LOL.

There's been a number of questions about the new Martin Konter replica ukulele. I thought I'd start a thread specifically pertaining to this uke from an owners perspective. We can show close up photos of our Konter ukes and answer questions. I'll start with a few photos of my Konter. I ordered mine as a custom by requesting the PegHed tuners on the G and A string be installed to old way (thread from inside and wind toward the outside of the headstock.) I took delivery on 3/2019.

Looks like a nice instrument, but I hope you didn't pay too much. Somebody wrote all over it! :rolleyes:

Lovely build. I can't wait to hear clips of these

Give it a try and let us know, since I was thinking I'd like to go sniff one somewhere, too. LOL.

True Martin fans know the first thing you do when looking at or buying a Martin branded instrument is stick your nose in the sound hole and have a good sniff. It's a well documented phenomenon.

Jim

Top Bottom