Reprising the Fun Build for mendel

Bradford

Reaction score
I'm building a custom uke for mendel and he has requested that I document the process here. He liked the Fun Build and wanted something unique, so this will be a concert size, solo version out of koa and myrtle. Here are a couple of pics of the top.

Brad

Attachments

• rm 070.jpg
    rm 070.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 188
  • rm 071.jpg
    rm 071.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 184
That is stunning!!! Is there a reason the sound holes are different sizes in the different woods?

Thank you Bradford!!! I'm incredibly excited about this!!!

Aloha Bradford,
Look Awesome man....interesting contrast and design in the two woods..and holes...Wow mendel you lucky guy...getting a custom already....wish I had earlier too...Thanks for sharing...we'll be waiting
for more pictures...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Hi Stan! I am excited! I can't wait! I've read a ton of things about the K brands and customs as well. I know that K Brands will always be there, but this is an opportunity to witness a build, speak to an incredibly knowledgable luthier, Bradford, and learn a lot along the way. I'm thrilled about this!!!

Hi Stan! I am excited! I can't wait! I've read a ton of things about the K brands and customs as well. I know that K Brands will always be there, but this is an opportunity to witness a build, speak to an incredibly knowledgable luthier, Bradford, and learn a lot along the way. I'm thrilled about this!!!

As you should be. Looks fabulous. :-)

It is an awesome experience. That was a major reason that I feel so happy to have Bradford build the Uke for me. He is so great about documenting the process and posting pics that I will really get the opportunity to learn about the instrument as it is being built. Also, Bradford knows not only how to build the instrument, but he is always willing to explain why certain things are done in the process.

Thanks Dave, that would have been an idea, but I did not have any koa or myrtle veneers and I did have these others, so I grabbed what was handy. Also, in the vein of the Fun Build, I'm throwing in a number of woods.

Brad

And here is the back. Lets see, I've got a couple of O's and an X, maybe there is a theme here. The start of the Hugs and Kisses uke.

Brad

Attachments

• rm1 001.jpg
    rm1 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 92
  • rm1 004.jpg
    rm1 004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 113
And here is the back. Lets see, I've got a couple of O's and an X, maybe there is a theme here. The start of the Hugs and Kisses uke.

Brad

That is one cool looking Uke!!! :drool:

Perfect name Bradford!!! It reflects what I am fortunate enough to say my life has become with my beautiful family. Every time I play, I can think about the people I love and be even happier!!!! That Uke has a sweet caboose!!! I love the back!!!

What ideas are you kicking around for the neck and fretboard and headstock??? This looks incredible!!!!

Last edited:
Hey mendel, as you approve of the concept, I will continue with the theme. The peghead, fretboard, bridge and end graft all offer potential sites, probably in the form of abalone or wood inlays. Here are some pics of some more materials, the sides are koa, maple bindings with b/w/b purflings, the piece of Macassar ebony would make a good fretboard and bridge. Some notes on the design; mendel and I have sent many emails back and forth prior to this point. We selected a combination of koa and myrtle, and he stated a preference for an offset soundhole. I thought the second smaller soundhole would add some interest. The four piece back was a concept that I presented to him and he liked. I am very pleased the way it looks in person. I have read many of the threads that mendel has started on UU, so with that, and our emails, I think I have a pretty good idea of what is most important to him, his family, so the Hugs and Kisses theme was a natural. By moving the soundholes up and to the side, you increase the area of the soundboard that vibrates, so I'm hoping for a strong voice. I am now considering how I will brace things.
Brad

Attachments

• rm2 004.jpg
    rm2 004.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 72
  • rm2 003.jpg
    rm2 003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 64
I exchanged a few emails with Bradford this afternoon. He has some incredible ideas for this build. The guy has the vision of an artist and the craftsmanship skills of a master craftsman. I can't wait until the next pics are posted. The ideas he has made me flip!!!!

Top Bottom