Knutsen Teardrop ukulele

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this teardrop on Carter Vintage website. I assume its a concert, but not sure.
As a sucker for teardrops and pineapples, I was blown away when I saw this. My first impression was "no way this is 1910". But when you look at his other instruments...yes it is that old. The style is WAY ahead of its time. This looks like something from the 50's or 60's.
Dos anyone have any info on Chris Knutsen or this particular uke? I am planning on building a replica and would appreciate some more info. THX

8.JPG

Very nice uke. I always like something different than the norm. I bought this on eBay from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, who has made me a few customs ukes and bass ukes. I wonder if somewhere in the past he was inspired by that uke?

BWA paddle island uke 1024.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Yes.. I see the similarities. Also the Romero's have a similar look.

I had never heard of Chris Knutsen before, but that is one gorgeous ukulele! It’s a good thing I can’t afford it, otherwise I would be seriously interested in buying it. I’ll look forward to seeing your replica, David.

Jan

That's a beauty. I bet it sold for half that $3,500 price in 1910. :D

"Chris Knutsen was a west coast luthier who made harp and Hawaiian style guitars in the early 1900s. This rare ukulele features an all koa construction, rope-pattern binding, and 4-on-a-side tuners. Comes with a soft case"

I started a building thread down in luthier's lounge.

Man! That's a 300 mph uke! Great streamlining.

Seriously Beautiful lines.

Interesting that the in-line tuners weren't angled diagonally a bit more to keep the strings straighter to the nut. I know I'd forget that the g-string was wound differently from the other three strings.

I hope your replica sounds great. Keep us apprised.

Top Bottom