Season 421 - God and Satan

RAB11

Reaction score
mylife2.png

Evening all. I've been toying with doing this theme for a while now and a few entries on John's theme this week convinced me to give it a go.

I'm not particularly religious myself but I do believe in a certain level of spirituality. What I also recognise is how powerful a muse it can be in the world of music. From the power of a hymn to a cynical singer songwriter questioning their life.

So put simply I want to hear songs that have a religious bent. This can be genuine, earnest worship in the form of a hymn or gospel, or anything else that mentions any sort of god or other religious figure, good guy or bad guy.

All I ask is that we respect the multitude of beliefs that exist within this community. I want to listen to music, not endless debates and sniping.

Goes without saying originals are very welcome.

Enjoy the Playlist !

Last edited:
And Hallelujah!!!!

I was born at 6 pm on the 1(6) 12 (66) so It would be rude of me not to attend the party

Beautiful scene in the movie Cool Hand Luke when Paul Newman plays banjo and sings this on his prison bunk on learning of his mother's death.He inflects it with a sadness beyond it's parody roots.

Heres the song that gave the season its title was intending to use it as an intro video but was out most of yesterday so didn't get the chance. It's by Biffy Clyro.

Off to watch the early shift now!

Hello, Ryan! Have gone for the "good" side first. I hope this song counts ... it mentions God and Angels and, apart from being a lullaby, the tune is apparently used for a couple of hymns in the States. It's a song I first became aware of when it was used in the film "Empire of the Sun" and I found an English translation as I have no idea how to pronounce Welsh. I dedicate it to any passing babies and any friends who are in need of TLC!

Sister Rosetta Tharpe was a great gospel and Jazz singer and no mean guitarest.The original rocking granny.I was lucky enough to see her live when she came to the uk.Quite a lively performer.

Great theme, Rev. Ryan

Opinions seem mixed on this one. I discovered that it was in Time magazines's Top 10 Ridiculous Country Songs. But also that Bobby Bare's 1977 recording was nominated for a Grammy. You decide.

Top Bottom