Ohana Vita?

camperman

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new concert uke to replace my beginners one. I posted elsewhere for advice on spending up to £150 but I've only had 2 replies.
However I'd like something a bit different and I'm really drawn to the Ohana Vita and it fits my price range.
Is it a good choice or is there a better buy to be had in a concert uke for a max of £150?

Thanks
Ed

Hi camperman, I know nothing of the Ohana Vita. That might be why you didn't get many replies if people have no experience with the Vita. However Ohana is a good dependable brand so I say, go for it. I have always been interested in the Mideast ukes that Mike has on UkeRepublic. I think they are Luteuleles.

The Ohana Vita scale is soprano, so if you need the extra fret spacing of a concert, you should probably keep looking. If scale isn't that important to you, I think the Ohana Vita is one of the best sounding ukes in its price range. I love mine! I started out playing classical guitar and dabbling in uke a little bit....the vita made me fall in love with the uke.

Last edited:
I have two Ohana Vita ukes - both have spruce tops. The first I won from Making Music Magazine - laminated mahogany body, no-name tuners (had to replace them, because the buttons cracked and broke, but Ohana sent me a set for free!), and the second I got a couple of months back from forum member scdano, who got it from Mim. It has the laminated rosewood body, and grover open gear tuners.

I have Worth Clear strings on the older one, and the original Aquila strings on the rosewood - going to try the new oasis strings on it in a week or so. They both are loud or soft, as you need, play well, and have helped me - by virtue of being soprano scale necks - use a softer touch with my fretting hand, which has improved my overall playing.

The MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is up there, but the street price for the uke runs around $170-180 US, and the hard case runs about $80 US. So call it $260 US, plus shipping and VAT, and you are probably past your £150 target. I'd suggest checking with Mim or Mike at UkeRepublic, and see what they can do for you.

Good Luck!

-Kurt​

The Ohana Vita scale is soprano, so if you need the extra fret spacing of a concert, you should probably keep looking. If scale isn't that important to you, I think the Ohana Vita is one of the best sounding ukes in its price range. I love mine! I started out playing classical guitar and dabbling in uke a little bit....the vita made me fall in love with the uke.

the one I reviewed was a concert
http://ukeeku.com/2012/01/08/ohana-ckp-70-vita-uke-full-review/

Mine measures 13.75 inches from nut to saddle (same as my Koaloha Pineapple soprano). Maybe mine is an oddball/defective one? :confused: The body is definitely more concert sized, it fits in a regular concert foam case and the model number would lead you to believe it's a concert, but the neck feels like a soprano (which is part of the reason why I love it...I'm definitely a soprano gal).

ETA: Here's a post from Ken Middleton that says it's a soprano with a bigger body:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?24421-Ohana-CKP70R-Vita-Concert-Ukulele-Solid-Spruce-Top

Last edited:
Everything above noted.

Adding this: laminate back and sides, but solid spruce top, which is what really matters.

Oh, and it's loud. Louder than any other ukulele I have heard. It may even be able to keep up with banjo ukuleles, it's that loud. I love it for old-time jazz standards.

The other alternative I'd suggest would be the Clearwater roundback concert - I have the tenor version and it's great! Spookily similar to Ohana's version of the same thing - but I got mine reduced via Amazon, down from £110 to £60 as it was B Stock. The concert was a tenner cheaper. The deal is no longer on (or at least I can't find it) but it's another good concert within your price range, even at full price.......

Check out some of Krabbers YouTube videos, he jams on his Vita on several recent vids.

I've had almost 3 weeks to have a think about this now and I've been recommended other sopranos and concert size alternatives and I must confess I got a little distracted.
But now I'm drawn back again to the Ohana Vita as I really want to replace my soprano and concert beginners ukes and I feel with the information I've picked up that this with it's soprano scale but concert (equiv) sized body will be the one to replace both. I also want a bit more volume as my beginners ukes are quiet which is something I didn't notice until I recently joined a club and can't hear my own playing during the strum-a-longs and I believe the Ohana Vita scores high in this area.
So thanks again everyone. Now I just need to go and try one out for myself.

Ed

Now I just need to go and try one out for myself.

Ed

Yes, that's the key - I got the first because I had won it - no out-of pocket expenditure. I got the second because I like the first so much.

They do sound different, with the different strings, but both are a joy to play.

Best of luck!

-Kurt​

Yes, that's the key - I got the first because I had won it - no out-of pocket expenditure. I got the second because I like the first so much.

They do sound different, with the different strings, but both are a joy to play.

Best of luck!

-Kurt​

Hi Kurt, thanks for the input. By sheer coincidence I'd already checked out your vids using the Vita on YouTube as part of my research so I'm really pleased to hear from you here.

Cheers
Ed.

Since you're in the UK, you might also consider the Clearwater Vita uke if you have a chance to play it. I believe it comes standard with a pick up, but I'm not sure about that. I hear it's very similar to the Ohana.

Since you're in the UK, you might also consider the Clearwater Vita uke if you have a chance to play it. I believe it comes standard with a pick up, but I'm not sure about that. I hear it's very similar to the Ohana.

It's a very good point and at just over half the cost of the Ohana Vita it might be worth a shot but I've found it difficult to find more than a couple of good review or a good direct comparison review. However if anyone has any owner opinions of the Clearwater I'd be happy to hear them.

I see that you're an Ohana Vita owner. Any feedback to offer would be most welcome.

It's a very good point and at just over half the cost of the Ohana Vita it might be worth a shot but I've found it difficult to find more than a couple of good review or a good direct comparison review. However if anyone has any owner opinions of the Clearwater I'd be happy to hear them.

I see that you're an Ohana Vita owner. Any feedback to offer would be most welcome.

According to Uke Hunt, Clearwater is a UK based company that sells a number of re-branded ukes (which may be why you haven't seen many reviews for them since most of the members here would have a much easier time getting an Ohana vs a Clearwater due to location). Their Vita looks remarkably close to the Ohana (same binding, same woods, same scale), so I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory. It might just be the cameras, but some pictures make it look like the Clearwaters have a gloss finish, whereas my Ohana has a matte finish. If you get a chance to see one or both in person, try it out!

I responded about the Ohana in post 3 in this thread, but I guess I can say it again. I love my Ohana Vita uke. I have plenty of more expensive ukes, but always come back to it. For it's price range, it's a great deal (a lot of my entry level ukes were just a little bit cheaper than the Vita, but the Vita blew those out of the water when it came to sound. It just sounded way better than the others.). It sounds great strumming and fingerpicking, has decent (but not perfect) intonation up the neck, is LOUD, and really comfy to hold. It's my daily player, and the one I grab most often.

According to Uke Hunt, Clearwater is a UK based company that sells a number of re-branded ukes (which may be why you haven't seen many reviews for them since most of the members here would have a much easier time getting an Ohana vs a Clearwater due to location). Their Vita looks remarkably close to the Ohana (same binding, same woods, same scale), so I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory. It might just be the cameras, but some pictures make it look like the Clearwaters have a gloss finish, whereas my Ohana has a matte finish. If you get a chance to see one or both in person, try it out!

I responded about the Ohana in post 3 in this thread, but I guess I can say it again. I love my Ohana Vita uke. I have plenty of more expensive ukes, but always come back to it. For it's price range, it's a great deal (a lot of my entry level ukes were just a little bit cheaper than the Vita, but the Vita blew those out of the water when it came to sound. It just sounded way better than the others.). It sounds great strumming and fingerpicking, has decent (but not perfect) intonation up the neck, is LOUD, and really comfy to hold. It's my daily player, and the one I grab most often.

Thanks again. It looks like the Clearwater is gloss on the neck and headstock but a more natural (satin?) finish on the body. I've not heard anything bad about it except for a little bit of nit picking about small aspects of the finish but I've read reviews of the Ohana that do that too but they just might be fussy reviewers.

Clearwater Vita

After getting my Clearwater Vita out of storage again, I have noticed a couple of things.

1. The intonation is very sensitive. If the ukulele is out of tune even a few cents, the dissonance is magnified the further up the neck I play.

2. The top is showing worrying signs of bellying. I wonder if the bracing is enough, or if it's going to steadily worsen.

3. I was duped. The ebay seller pitched this ukulele as having a rosewood faceplate on the headstock. Last night, I noticed the joint was a little uneven, and upon closer inspection, I discovered that the grain pattern on the front of the headstock (the alleged faceplate) matches the rest of the headstock. the headstock has simply been stained on the front. It's no biggie; the ukulele was very reasonably priced, and it still sounds good and loud. Frank marketing would have been nice, however.

I wonder: do these points also apply to the Ohana Vita (that looks to have come from the same factory as my Clearwater)?

Last edited:
After getting my Clearwater Vita out of storage again, I have noticed a couple of things.

1. The intonation is very sensitive. If the ukulele is out of tune even a few cents, the dissonance is magnified the further up the neck I play.

2. The top is showing worrying signs of bellying. I wonder if the bracing is enough, or if it's going to steadily worsen.

3. I was duped. The ebay seller pitched this ukulele as having a rosewood faceplate on the headstock. Last night, I noticed the joint was a little uneven, and upon closer inspection, I discovered that the grain pattern on the front of the headstock (the alleged faceplate) matches the rest of the headstock. the headstock has simply been stained on the front. It's no biggie; the ukulele was very reasonably priced, and it still sounds good and loud. Frank marketing would have been nice, however.

I wonder: do these points also apply to the Ohana Vita (that looks to have come from the same factory as my Clearwater)?

This doesn't sound good at all. Sorry to hear about this. I've found it difficult to find much information or user reviews about the Clearwater Vita but the few I've seen seem to be happy in general. I decided to order one and at the price I'm not overly concerned about the headstock materials but the possibility of the soundboard bellying definitely worries me. If I'm not fully happy I shall return it. (I'm about to pm you)

Top Bottom