Ukulele size buying advice

shroomshade

Reaction score
Hi all,

Let me preface this by saying that I don't have the opportunity to play ukes before buying--no stores around here--so I need to buy online (probably the Ukulele Site) unseen. They do have a decent return/exchange policy, if it comes to that.

I bought my first Ukulele in 2013--a Lanikai LU-21C concert from Amazon. I played around with it for a few months but didn't make much progress...the action is incredibly high, I get some buzzing, and it was just not fun to play on, so I kind of stopped playing it. The sound was also not very nice--a bit tinny and artificial sounding, if that makes sense.

I started playing again a few months ago, and got a bit more into it, and my wife got a uke as well--a Kala 15S. I played that some and wow--way easier to play and the sound was incredible. At least way more incredible than my Lanikai.

I love the soprano sound, but it is a bit cramped for me for some chords. Compared to the concert though, some chords are much easier (like the traditional E--I can play that easier on the soprano and it's a bit of a stretch on the concert.)

I have also realized I like fingerpicking a lot. That is easier on the concert than the soprano.

So that brings us to now. I am wanting to buy a good uke and am torn on size. I want to put in the time to get better, but both of these ukes are frustrating to play on--the action on the concert is 5.5mm at the 12th fret, for instance, which seems incredibly high.

I love the soprano sound, but people seem to think that sopranos don't have the best sustain for fingerpicking. I think I like the concert sound (based on videos I watch) but the sound on my concert is tinny and terrible; I suspect that is due to this specific uke and not the concert size itself.

I have also considered a tenor, but am worried about those stretches...seems like picking would be easier, but stretches are hard enough on the concert.

I generally consider myself to have big hands, or at least average, so maybe I would be able to get used to the tenor in time? I still think I like the soprano sound more, but I would want sustain for the fingerpicking aspect.

Is there really a wrong answer here? I am kind of leaning towards a long neck soprano or concert, but just want to get some input from you all to help make my decision. I am leaning towards a Hawaiian made uke, so I can grow into it and it will last me for a long time, instead of feeling the need to upgrade in a few more months.

Thanks for any input!

If you like soprano, get soprano. I wouldn't overthink it if I were you. It is a ukulele. Get the one you want.

I think you’re on the right track. A long neck soprano is in your future. And if you don’t love it, you can always sell it. You’ll lose a bit on the transaction, but that’s okay, too.

A lot of people like the Kala Long Neck Soprano...SSLNG, If memory serves. And if your budget is somewhat higher, look at the KoAloha Opio Long Neck Sopranos.

I generally consider myself to have big hands, or at least average, so maybe I would be able to get used to the tenor in time? I still think I like the soprano sound more, but I would want sustain for the fingerpicking aspect.
Like you I'm a big fan of the soprano: it's the sound that drew me to the ukulele in the first place. I can't give you any sort of solid recommendation as to which size will really suit your needs, but I would say that plenty of people find that the soprano works very well for finger-picking, as you can see in this video. It's going to suit some music better than others, of course.

Not all sopranos have the same nut width or neck profile either and that certainly has an effect on playability. My own feeling leans towards looking for a more suitable model of soprano, since you like them.

Long neck soprano! Best of both worlds. The tension on the strings is better too with the longer scale. I’m a new fan

Yeah, I was going to mention Sam Muir, too.

You keep saying you like the soprano. Get one. You can always try another size later one, but it sounds like your heart is for the soprano right now.:)

A lot of people like the Kala Long Neck Soprano...SSLNG, If memory serves. And if your budget is somewhat higher, look at the KoAloha Opio Long Neck Sopranos.

I think you can stop reading now. CG has great advice there.

Thanks for all of the advice. Any recommendation on a soprano with more frets? I would like a soprano, but 12 frets isn't going to be sufficient, I don't think. Leaning towards the long neck at this point...

Is the opio similar to a Hawaiian koaloha? would it be worth paying the extra for a Koaloha Long Neck or just get an opio for now?

The long neck Opio has 17 frets, and will be made out of Acacia at a much more affordable price point than the full Koa model. If you’re looking at Koa, you should probably put the Kamaka long neck soprano on your list, too.

What I have been told is that Koa is a type of Acacia which is only grown in Hawaiii.

I think, if you are coming from starter Lanikai and Kala models, the Opio would be a whole new level of enjoyment for you.

I think, if you are coming from starter Lanikai and Kala models, the Opio would be a whole new level of enjoyment for you.
+1 again. Plus it will be easier to resell for less loss if you decide you don't like it.

But anything has to be a huge improvement from over that particular Lanikai. 5.5mm?!? Eesh, that's insane. 2 5mm is what I prefer,

Do you have a music store anywhere around you that does guitar repair? They may be able to do a proper set-up on your Lanikai. I have the same LU-21C and it was very difficult and disappointing to play because the action was so high. I took it to a guitar shop and they were able to lower the action. Now it plays like a dream and with a set of Martin strings on it, it sounds pretty good too. I've since acquired two nicer and more expensive ukes (both concerts) and contemplated selling the LU-21C but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I enjoy playing it as much as the other two and in some ways, it plays more smoothly and more comfortably than the other two. I really like the feel of it.

I have the Lanikai C-KC. It was my first. I thought about selling it once but I just can't do it. It holds it's tune better than my others and has a nice sound. I probably play it more than my others.

I have the Pono mango soprano. It is very nice. Great build and sound. I am probably going to sell mine only because I don't care for the friction tuners. I played the soprano Opio at Mim's when I was shopping. It is very nice, too. In my opinion, it is louder than the Pono.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

I have the Lanikai C-KC. It was my first. I thought about selling it once but I just can't do it. It holds it's tune better than my others and has a nice sound. I probably play it more than my others.

I have the Pono mango soprano. It is very nice. Great build and sound. I am probably going to sell mine only because I don't care for the friction tuners. I played the soprano Opio at Mim's when I was shopping. It is very nice, too. In my opinion, it is louder than the Pono.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

How is the width of the fretboard on the mango? I think I prefer the shorter scale length of a standard soprano, but would appreciate the added width for frets like what a concert offers. May need to get one if the long necks (opio or pono acacia) if the pono soprano has the narrow frets...might just pull the trigger on the mango though. Decisions decisions!

Ultimately, I want 16+ frets with a soprano scale and wider frets than a soprano, I think.

Edit: I think what I am looking for is a soprano scale length with a wider nut width, so there is more string spacing--is that right? If so, looks like an Opio has 1.5" (slightly more than the LU-21C) and Pono has 1.375" (around the same as the Kala). If that is right, I think I'll go with the Opio longneck...wish it had a shorter scale length, but I really need more than the 12 frets a Koaloha soprano has.

Last edited:
Do you have a music store anywhere around you that does guitar repair? They may be able to do a proper set-up on your Lanikai. I have the same LU-21C and it was very difficult and disappointing to play because the action was so high. I took it to a guitar shop and they were able to lower the action. Now it plays like a dream and with a set of Martin strings on it, it sounds pretty good too. I've since acquired two nicer and more expensive ukes (both concerts) and contemplated selling the LU-21C but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I enjoy playing it as much as the other two and in some ways, it plays more smoothly and more comfortably than the other two. I really like the feel of it.

That is a good idea...we do have a guitar shop, so maybe I will take it in at some point so it's at least playable. Maybe put some new strings on it as well.

Sounds like you got your choices narrowed down to two great models, can't go wrong with either a Pono or a KoAloha Opio. In both cases, I'd consider having the friction tuners changed to some Gotoh UPT. That's a sevice offered by the Ukulele Site for a small extra fee, but certainly worth not having to worry about slipping strings.

A wider nut does not necessarily equal more string spacing and as far as I know, the Opio nut width is not 1.5" (38mm), but more like 1 7/16" (36mm), so not that much more than the 1 3/8" (35mm) on the Pono. From looking at my Opio, I think the extra space is rather added at the edges, which is a good thing too, as it prevents my index fingers from involuntarily muting the first string.

I think very highly of both Pono and Opio, but for a full-on punchy Soprano sound, out of the models you're looking at, I'd choose the Opio.

A wider nut does not necessarily equal more string spacing and as far as I know,

No, but it still really helps. I mainly play sopranos and have large hands. The ideal for me is a wide nut and improved string spacing, but even just a wide nut for me can help - it's about how the endges of the board support the fretting fingers as they curl around - hard to descibe.

I usually recommend a concert scale for newbies, & I still do, but in your case, you have basically found out what you like. :)

I spent most of my first year on a Kala KA-SLNG long neck mahogany laminate uke, it was perfect for me starting out, & I still have & use it 2 years later.

But if you want to spend more money, my best uke is a long neck concert solid acacia Opio, & they do a lovely soprano long neck.

If you want to hear how it sounds, there are videos of it on the internet, as well as one of our members' video, available in another thread.

P.S. You can put a low G on a long neck, no problem, to increases your finger picking opportunities.

Last edited:

:agree:

What he said. For a small investment you’ll get a much more useable Uke and one that will be fine for you to use for a couple of years.

Top Bottom