New Kinnard Model: Selmer-tyle Super Tenor -- WOW!!

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Kevin Beddoe and luthier John S. Kinnard, have been working on a little stealth project that is now public: a Selmer-style Super Tenor!

Many of you know John's reputation for outstanding ukuleles. What fewer people know is John also has a super reputation for gypsy-style guitars made under the Del Arte brand.

Kevin and John have collaborated to collide these two worlds into a new model that will be offered with either Series 2 or Series 3 appointments and feature the following as "Standard":

• Selmer-style body with classic cutaway
  • Selmer-style snake head slotted headstock
  • Selmer-style large "D" hole sound hole
  • Selmer-style classic rosette
  • Selmer classic-style bridge with string through design
  • Scale length of 19"
  • ​Side soundport available as an option

Here is a link to some pics and sound sample, which sounds really incredible:

http://www.kinnardukes.com/john-s.-kinnard-selmer-style-super-tenor.html

I love the sound and am curious what others think.

I always love the look of the old Selmer guitars, both these and the small oval sound hole models.

Wow. That is beautiful both in looks and sound. I think Kinnards just keep getting better and better.

Good thing I don't play anything larger than a concert these days, or I'd really, really want that one.

Thanks for sharing Eddie, tell John and Kevin nice job, looks and sounds great. You know I like this style and they have done a very good job with it.

Selmer-style instruments are traditionally lattice braced. However, they used a more traditional two fan approach. I have only tried one lattice-braced uke and I did not like it all, so when Beau Hannam built my Selmer-style Grand Tenor, I had him use more traditional uke bracing.

The larger body, sound hole and longer scale are all aesthetic features but they also impact tone. As I noted in my original posting, I think the tone is fantastic and cannot wait to check one out in person.

Do you know what strings they're using on it? I've got a 19" tenor and am still playing around with strings on it. I've been tuning it dGBE but am planning to try linear C tuning at some point. I worry that standard tenor strings would be painfully high tension with the extra scale length.

That is a very beautiful and classy looking uke. John's work and attention to detail is outstanding. And Kevin's style of playing is soooo.... soothing and tranquil. Nice job guys!!!!

Do you know what strings they're using on it? I've got a 19" tenor and am still playing around with strings on it. I've been tuning it dGBE but am planning to try linear C tuning at some point. I worry that standard tenor strings would be painfully high tension with the extra scale length.

I have a 19" tenor and use Thomastik CF30 and CF27 for the wound G and C strings. I use Oais warm for the two trebles. Yes the tension is higher then a 17" tenor, more so on the florocarbon strings then the wounds. I don't mind high tension, if you do try a concert set of strings with either Thomastik CF30 or Fremont Soloist for the wound G if you like only a wound G.

I have a 19" tenor and use Thomastik CF30 and CF27 for the wound G and C strings. I use Oais warm for the two trebles. Yes the tension is higher then a 17" tenor, more so on the florocarbon strings then the wounds. I don't mind high tension, if you do try a concert set of strings with either Thomastik CF30 or Fremont Soloist for the wound G if you like only a wound G.

Thanks Dave - I've actually been using a CF30 as the G on it and I have an unused CF27 knocking about so I'll give it a go. Really enjoying the scale length, will be glad when I've dialled in the strings and tuning.

I need it. Really 48BB0493-CC06-4863-89AD-224531C853AE.jpg

There is one for sale right now on Kinnard's website.
Looks beautiful.

I would think that if check with Kevin from Kinnard, he'd be able to answer that for you.

I’m sure. But at that price point it’s just a curiosity for now and I’m sure he has more important things to do than answer my questions. Maybe if I’m in a position to get one myself later on.

I’m curious whether it’s strong enough to handle all metal strings.

The answer to this question will most likely be no, as with most instruments specifically built for nylon strings. I don't think they would advise you to take that risk on an instrument in this price range.

Top Bottom