Peghead inlay question

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
I'm building my 2nd instrument, a tenor ukulele for my 15 year-old granddaughter. Her name is Summer Rose Barnett and I'd love to have the Rose drawn by her mom on the peghead. The work is beyond me at this point so I'm doing two things: 1. Figuring out what it should look like, and 2. Finding someone to do the work.

As you look at this drawing, what do you envision? What direction can you give me on this?

As always, THANK YOU!

Attachments

• Summer's headstock with inlays.jpg
    Summer's headstock with inlays.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 71
Since you’re not doing this yourself, take the easy way out and buy a rose inlay from DePaule. To make things even easier, inlay it into ebony, rout out the cavity and fill will black ca glue. And BTW, you spelled her name wrong. ;)

https://luthiersupply.com/rose-inlay-style-6.html

...And BTW, you spelled her name wrong. ;)]

Duh... I, uh... OH, NO!!! :cool::cool:

Yes, I think that is an excellent idea. A little intimidated about routing that out and doing that inset myself, but it's time that I learned that. I have a Dremel and a 1/16 in bit as my smallest. I see that Blues Creek guitars has an air handheld router tool that might work better. What do y'all use?

For other options, pyrography works reasonably well for minimal investment. I just upgraded my pyrography arsenal with a cheap 60w soldering iron off eBay for 20 Australian dollarydoos.
The other alternative option I have been using is face down tracing paper. Just print reversed images and text (I convert text to image). Seal the headstock with superglue. Superglue the tracing paper face down so the image can still be seen and be protected from scratches.
Test the superglue and ink combination first because I have had an issue with a low viscosity superglue that made the ink low viscosity too.
Pyrography
20200223_160539.jpg
Tracing paper
20200204_090600.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom