Slotted Headstocks

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I like the look of slotted headstocks, and given the choice, I would choose a uke with slots over a solid headstock. Counting products from the Magic Fluke, I have eight slotted headstock ukes.

I recently watched a documentary about Robert Johnson (see separate post), and all the great players they interviewed had guitars with slotted headstocks. I don't think the slots add to the sound, but they sure look nice.

I think itis the classical guitars that have the slotted head stock because of the way the tuners are set up. Acoustic guitars have solid head stocks as well as electrics.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, I really like the look of a slotted head stock. Might start hoarding my pennies to get a nice pono with slotted head stock. Let's see, at my rate of saving I should be able to afford it when I am 374 years old. I am really glad that playing ability is not a consideration for owning a nice uke.

Not long ago, I picked up a used Pono big bari steel string PC model in the slotted head version. I would have been perfectly happy with the flat headstock (had that on my smaller Pono bari PC). I actually think I prefer the cleaner, simpler look of the standard headstock. The slotted style looks busy to me. I also find string change easier. I understand about break angle and such, but I don't know that I’d choose slotted if I were buying new. Since I bought used and Pono steel string model was hard to find, the slotted head wasn’t a deal breaker.

I'll join the list of slotted headstock fans. I think it's a really cool look. I have read someplace that it also lessens the weight of the headstock, though it doesn't seem like it could make that much of a difference on a uke. On a Fender bass, the headstocks feel like they weigh about 25 pounds, but not sure about ukes. I just think they look great.

With slotted headstocks, you can have a string break angle (have the string pushing down on the nut) without having to cantilever the entire headstock too much. It's easier to make, and can also be a bit lighter than a paddle headstock. On the downside, it's requires a bit more effort to change strings.

Love them too. Love the look of my Kala cedar top, but agree the strings are a little harder to change. You have to work for beauty though, but I like Dolly's quote better: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." Love her.

Never been a fan of them on a uke but then I'm a soprano guy and the proportions are all wrong for soprano. On guitars they look fine.

I don’t know if there is any weight savings. I know that there are good sized chunks of the headstock missing but the headstock is much thicker on my slotted Pono as compared to my reg Pono.

Not a fan of the slotted headstock design as it seems to add too much work to string changing. Also wonder about their being more fragile too. I've seen dozens of ukes fall over at jams, and the only one to get damaged was a K brand with a huge slotted headstock that snapped clean off.

I like a lot of bling on my stringed instruments. Looks are important to me, and I think slotted heads are sharp looking. My eighter has one as does my tenor guitar.

If I was gonna buy any more ukes, I would like a slotted one. :eek:ld:

Not a fan of the slotted headstock design as it seems to add too much work to string changing. Also wonder about their being more fragile too. I've seen dozens of ukes fall over at jams, and the only one to get damaged was a K brand with a huge slotted headstock that snapped clean off.

OOOh! I just bought one with a cracked neck:)

But I love them also!!!

View attachment 117634

There are + and - for both slotted and flat/paddle. However a plus for flat tops is wider opportunity for intricate inlays and designs . I noticed that Pegasus ukulele has been placing their famous flying horse inlay inside the sound hole on the neck block due to lack of space on their slotted head set models.

I think itis the classical guitars that have the slotted head stock because of the way the tuners are set up. Acoustic guitars have solid head stocks as well as electrics.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You’re definitely wrong! I own 2 Martin steel string acoustics with slotted headstocks, and they currently have around a dozen slothead models in their lineup.

B3A7B159-E867-40F2-AA0E-44F1C627DCF8.jpg

This is me with my Martin D-15S.

Scooter

I'll join the list of slotted headstock fans. I think it's a really cool look. I have read someplace that it also lessens the weight of the headstock, though it doesn't seem like it could make that much of a difference on a uke. On a Fender bass, the headstocks feel like they weigh about 25 pounds, but not sure about ukes. I just think they look great.
I don't think that slotted headstocks are lighter. But there is a discussion of that starting with our own DownUpDave in post 12 of the thread below. Enjoy the discussion.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122830-Slotted-headstock-or-not/page2

The latitude for detailing on paddles is a plus, but the common tendency to abuse it, lapsing into gaudy, makes it a minus.

Agreed that it can be abused...….though I don't think it's "common". Anyway, one persons art maybe another persons !******!.

You’re definitely wrong! I own 2 Martin steel string acoustics with slotted headstocks, and they currently have around a dozen slothead models in their lineup.

View attachment 117635

This is me with my Martin D-15S.

Scooter

You are correct, in addition to classical guitars, most 12 fret steel string guitars have slotted heads.... at least the expensive ones. Count me in the slotted head fan club.

I like slotted headstocks. Two of my three remaining steel string acoustic guitars are 12 fretters with slotted headstocks. Only one of my ukuleles has a slotted headstock... but most have friction tuners so the knobs are already pointing the right way so... ;)

Top Bottom