Cool New Case

jwieties

Reaction score
Hold on to your wallets and prepare for a major case of CAS.
Appears to be an extremely well built/designed case with looks to kill.
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16107-2095/gw-jm-uke-sop

Love the light color (as opposed to black), leather handle, quality buckles, vintage style and the shoulder strap is a huge bonus.
Also reasonably priced. I just picked up a soprano and am awaiting delivery. Available at Sam Ash in all sizes. They also had the best price.
http://www.samash.com/journeyman-soprano-style-ukulele-deluxe-wood-case-gjmukesop-p
And... Enter - AFF1501 - for a 15% off coupon code.

Certainly a step up from those black canvas bags of yore.

Looking forward to hearing if the quality matches the looks.

I saw this the other day and was very tempted. I like the look and they do appear to be well made.

Lovely looking cases Josh. Cheers for the heads up brother. :)

Thanks for the links Josh. Been struggling to find a case to fit an Ovation Applause UAE148-4 Tenor. Seems the overall length is more than a regular tenor. Looks like the Gator tenor case might fit. Fantastic!

Thanks for the links Josh. Been struggling to find a case to fit an Ovation Applause UAE148-4 Tenor. Seems the overall length is more than a regular tenor. Looks like the Gator tenor case might fit. Fantastic!

I noticed this and think it may be a difference in the way they are measuring. All specs for the Gator case are about a 1/2 inch smaller then my Guardian vintage case, except for the internal body length. When Guardian list their internal body length, I think they take into consideration the heal of the neck, and list the actual length of the uke that will fit. Where as I believe gator are simply stating the dimensions of the case, rather then the size of the uke that might fit in it. This is just a guess. Hope it works out for you.

I have one of these in soprano size and it's a decent case for the money. I wouldn't say it's any stronger structurally compared to something like a Guardian case but has good fit and finish and looks cool and vintage. It's pretty much on par (maybe a little better) then what's out there currently.

I don't think the handle on mine is leather and the canvas covering is prone to getting dirty as I found out immediately after receiving mine. There must have been some dust on the outside box because the case covering soon had a smudge on it. It came with a little card that said to spray the outside of the case with Scotchguard to help preserve the fabric.....I didn't do this because I think it will look better with some wear and tear on it :)

Anyways, t fits a Martin soprano perfectly and looks good doing it. My only concern is the brass latches that don't lock down as well as I would like. I have accidentally flipped one or two open by catching the latches on something. Otherwise, it's a good case and it looks great!

I noticed this and think it may be a difference in the way they are measuring. All specs for the Gator case are about a 1/2 inch smaller then my Guardian vintage case, except for the internal body length. When Guardian list their internal body length, I think they take into consideration the heal of the neck, and list the actual length of the uke that will fit. Where as I believe gator are simply stating the dimensions of the case, rather then the size of the uke that might fit in it. This is just a guess. Hope it works out for you.

After further analysis, it looks like the Gator case (tenor) won't fit my Ovation. I will probably have to go with a baritone size and pad it out some. I see Gator doesn't offer a baritone size so it looks like the Guardian may be my best option. Thanks for the pointers.

Very Nice!...

Nice modern Vintage look, three D ring clasps and very reasonable price!!!... Thanks, for the link!

Thanks for the mini review SpecialK. I was a little worried about how dirty it may get, but this is also for a vintage uke, so I'm not concerned and actually prefer if it looks a little worn.

Cigar - the guardian is an excellent case with great quality. In fact, maybe even a little better given the arch top. I'm excited about the gator because it the first quality tweed case Ive seen. Most come with those cruddy flip down latches. I've always went for the black Guardian or Silver Creek because they seem much better then the other options, but these Gators seem to be the same quality have the extra cool factor and are not trying to kill you on the price.

Is there any mention of the thickness of plywood? Door skin is a plied wood, but only 1/8th of an inch thick. That's the thickness of the ones made of dense cardboard. 1/4 inch would give great protection, but be quite heavy to carry.
They do look very nice, and it's price to value remains to be seen without knowing some more specifications.

This is still a nice case the only issue being the somewhat weak latches which could pose a problem further down the line. It will be interesting to see if other people find the same thing. I may just replace the latches at some point to ease my mind because I really do like the case.
It does not have an arched top but it's very stout and I have no concerns regarding structural integrity. I can press down on the middle of the lid and it barely gives.

Last edited:
Is there any mention of the thickness of plywood? Door skin is a plied wood, but only 1/8th of an inch thick. That's the thickness of the ones made of dense cardboard. 1/4 inch would give great protection, but be quite heavy to carry.
They do look very nice, and it's price to value remains to be seen without knowing some more specifications.

Nope... only says "heavy duty", but by the looks I would say 5-ply. I look forward to finding out in a few days. Still quality-wise based on the video and pictures look much closer to this case, which I have several of and am very happy with.
DV016_Jpg_Large_712794.001_black_open.jpg
Rather then this one, which I've seen several times, but I've never picked up because it seemed a bit flimsy and the hardware was cheap.
$T2eC16FHJGgFFmsJ+BN7BRtF5w(Ue!~~60_35.JPG

Here's the promo video for the Gator series of cases.

Cigarfan, I just KNEW you were going to buy one for your soon-to-arrive East-Start uke. Then if it DOESN'T fit, the rest of us could learn from your mistake! :cool:

Cigarfan, I just KNEW you were going to buy one for your soon-to-arrive East-Start uke. Then if it DOESN'T fit, the rest of us could learn from your mistake! :cool:

Only if they offer it in that fancy checkerboard pattern! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom